We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

I'm an englishman in Toronto married to a Canadian. My parents (energetic 70's) are flying over to visit and we're planning on driving from Toronto to Cape Cod where we're staying for a week. Looking at spending 3 nights on route.

option 1 - via Buffalo, stopping at the finger lakes for 2 nights and one other night on route

option 2 - Montreal first day, 2 nights there, then another night on route to Cape Cod

this will be mid July, aiming to arrive in cape cod sat noon. budget open.

any suggestions?? good views, walks, wine and food are being looked for!

conn
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

The Finger lakes area is great, many wineries and places to eat. Seneca lake is my favorite. Not sure about lodging, what do you want to pay per night.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

Option 1 - Stockbridge, MA

Option 2 -  Burlington,Vermont, Stowe, VT, or Boston, MA 

I was trying to think of a place halfway between Montreal and the Cape: Brattleboro, VT and Keene, NH are probably the closest to being at the halfway point between your destinations.  

Edited: 09 June 2013, 15:19
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

London, I"m sure that you will also get a response from Senior65 who lives in Toronto and has made the driver to the Cape and back over many years.

Central...
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

Skaneateles in the Finger Lakes is a lovely town, with upscale and expensive lodging as well as more modest motels. Family have stayed at the Bird's Nest on the east edge of town and liked it, but if money is no object I'd stay in one of the B&B's in town and walk around. Mirabeau has a well-reviewed spa and restaurant; very pricey, on the west edge of town, a bit of a hike to the town center.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

It seems to me you could get from Toronto to Cape Cod in 10 hours, or split it up over 2 days with a one night stop. The Finger Lakes is a beautiful area.

Going by Montreal would add 7 hours onto your trip, unless you really wanted to see Montreal. With me, when I go to the ocean, I just want to get to the ocean as quick as possible!!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

Before I comment, what are your plans for driving back to Toronto ?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

You may be able to get from Toronto to the Cape in ten hours but that is straight driving and no sightseeing. In fact we have been doing that drive for 40 years and I think our best time was eleven hours. The OP wants to stop for several nights anyway so it's a moot point.

I see that you have posted on two forums. Have you got all the info you need?

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

my parents are flying back to the UK from NYC so i'll be driving back with my wife, prob the buffalo route. the aim is not just to get there though, its to enjoy the drive!

yes i posted on both to ensure people from both Cape Cod and Toronto saw it and gave advise (first time using these forums...)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
866 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

I agree with Senior. We have done this drive three times now and are doing an almost similar trip to you at Xmas as my mum is visiting from the UK and we are taking her to Brewster.

Nowadays we just want to get here so we just drive straight through, about 10 hours or so is about right. If your folks have never been to the US before I would suggest stopping in the Stockbridge area. I haven't personally stayed there but I did masses of research earlier this year when I was thinking of going there for this coming Xmas. Seems to be a nice spot for a couple of nights enroute to the Cape. From the NY/MA border its probably about 4-5 hours to the Cape and its a nice easy drive with plenty of rest stops enroute to get gas etc.

Not sure if your request for good eats etc. is for on the Cape. But I, and numerous others, swear by the Kelti Kitchen, serves an Irish breakfast to die for and it makes this ex-brit very happy whenever we visit!

I know when my mum comes I am planning on driving to New Bedford to visit the Whaling museum and the associated historical district. I think its classed as a US national park and looks to be very interesting, the sort of history my 83 yr old mum loves.

Also going to take her up to Boston or maybe north around Salem and Gloucester, but bearing in mind this would be our 4th trip to the Cape and we are going in the Winter so driving conditions/traffic etc. are a bit different.

Pete

Edited: 13 June 2013, 01:46
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Toronto to Cape Cod

The Berkshires, western Mass is a great half way point,5 hrs south if Montreal and 3 or so hours to the cape. Museums, shows, nature, we have it all!