We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Hi All

I am looking to fly into Boston from the UK, get the Greyhound Bus down to Cape Cod & book a hotelfor a few days. I would like to visit MV & Nantucket as a foot passenger, maybe hire a bike. Can MV be looked around in an hour, or is booking a B&B for a night worthwhile?

We will hire a car to get back to Boston from Cape Cod(if that's possible), so we can explore Boston & do some shopping?? We are looking at coming over for 9 days in the last two weeks in September? Is this a good time to visit?

Any tips are very welcoming??

Many thanks

Helen

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Hi Helen -

The end of September is a wonderful time to visit Cape Cod! The weather is autumn-like (warm days and cool nights), most everything is still open, and the crowds of summer have gone.

Regarding Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard ... it's really not possible to see much of either island in just an hour. In fact, a full day really isn't even enough time to do either island total justice.

If you hope to visit Nantucket or MV, I'd highly recommend that you choose one, and plan to spend at least 4-6 hours there. That way, you'll at least be able to get a "flavor" of the island. Were it me, I'd do an overnight on the island, allowing for more time to explore at a relaxed pace.

And yes, it's surely possible to hire a car and drive to Boston. Depending on the time of day you travel, and to a lesser extent the day of the week, it should be a relatively easy 90 minute drive.

Hope this helps ...

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Where on the Cape are you planning to stay? It's not easy to get around without a car. You will not need a car in Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

I'd recommend staying in Boston for a three days and the cape for a six days. You can do Boston at the start or end of your trip. If at the start, you don't want a car in the city. Explore the city by walking/subway/tour, etc. Then when you're ready to head to the cape, rent a car and explore there. On the cape you definitely want a car to get around. There are many lovely towns to check out. I'd chose one of the islands to visit. I think a day trip is enough myself, no need to stay over night.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

With regards to the Car .... You should hire it in Boston and drive to the Cape. Public transportation is somewhat limited. In fact I don't know if greyhound goes there. You would need a P&B bus. Then return the car in Boston and take advantage of the subway and walkability of Boston

With regards to the Vineyard. Lots of people do day trips without a car but you need more than one hour to make it worthwhile.

HAPPY PLANNING!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

No idea at the moment, could you help with a cheapish b&b or hotel??

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Thank you for replying. Can you recommend a hotel in Cape Cod??

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Thank you for replying. Could you recommend a hotel in Cape Cod??

Central...
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Budget? What town do you think you'd like?

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

Hi

I have been having a browse through the Town's & Falmouth looks really nice? Closest to MV aswell??

Conroe, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip Boston to Cape Cod

I am going to stay at Sea Coast Inn in Hyannis. Central located and Teri has been great with helping get us tickets on ferry to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard