We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

We are going for a week in mid August and staying near Skaket.We would like something to do with our son maybe 4 days out of the week (besides play at beach).We will drive up to an hour in either direction.So far all I can think of is Mudflat Mania and seal watch at the pier in Chatham.Our son still naps so we usually like to get out early and do something and then head back home around 1pm for nap.We went to provincetown last year but didn't find it very kid friendly.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

He's still a little young for some things I think. There are children's theatre productions in various towns. There's a playground on Eldredge Parkway in Orleans near the ballpark and the tennis courts. You could check with the library in Orleans to see if they have anything for little ones. There's miniature golf near the Rotary in Orleans. The same people run the icecream shop across the road next to Tradewinds.

There's also www.capecodpirateadventures.com which looks fun.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 20:42
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

There are morning puppet shows & a juggler at the First Parish of Brewster, right on Rt. 6A on the corner opposite the Brewster Store, another great stop for little kids. Here's the info:

www.capeevents.com/event.cfm?Event_ID=7143

You could take him to the New England Fire & History Museum in Brewster also on 6A heading towards Dennis and the Cape Cod Natural History Museum which has tons of stuff for kids:

http://www.ccmnh.org/KidSummer-Day-Program

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Mini golf and ice cream are classic to dos!

(along with plenty of beach time, sandcastle building!) :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Critter cruise on the Viking princess in provincetown

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
557 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Kendrick: Hate to say it but I think you may have given some very outdated advice, because AFAIK, the Fire & Hitory Museum has been closed for a nbr of years and the property almost looks abandoned when i was by there last fall...I thought I heard something about bankruptcy some yrs ago so you may want to verify what I've said, ok?

Now Chatham has a pretty good sized playground behind the Community Center, next to Veteran's Field...it was one of those wood ones built by community years ago but was rebuilt using metal/plastic a few yrs ago due to concerns about chemicals.

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.We can't wait to go!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Help us by writing a trip report when you get home. It will be useful for others with small children. Hope you enjoy Skaket and Orleans, we'll be there in September.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Rock Harbor is also a nice mellow spot, (was just there the other day! Saw a lot of families with little ones), fishing boats, great sunsets, sometimes they have music there too!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

That's too bad about the Fire Museum, I looked it up online before posting & the website is still there. Of course that's not any guarantee. The puppet shows

& CC Natural History are still viable options.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
557 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do w 2.5yr old,Orleans area

Found a story from Cape Cod Times from June 9, 2012 about bldg being used for AA meetings::

"What was once a museum of firefighting history became a haven for those suffering from addiction.

But by the end of the summer, that haven will need to move.

Club Dry Dock, at 1439 Route 6A, must find a new location. The landlords, trustees of the nonprofit New England Fire and History Museum, want to sell the property, according to Carl Back, attorney and member of Club Dry Dock.

The current space had been used by the New England Fire and History Museum until that closed in 2005. The trustees have disposed of everything in the fire history collection and all that remains is the real estate, valued at about $700,000, according to assessing records."

So it's been gone longer than even I recalled! Surprised the web site is still around though!