We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time advice

Ontario
Level Contributor
290 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
1st time advice

We are hoping to travel to the Cape Cod area for 2 nights after a stay in Boston. We have never been to this area before.

Have found reasonable rooms in New Bedford and Fairhaven and am wondering if this is a good idea. Love the idea of a nice B&B on the water but the prices seem out of my reach.

Will we be disappointed staying in a chain hotel and just travelling out each day to the Cape and possibly Martha's Vineyard?

Have also found an inn in Falmouth that doesn't require taking out a 2nd mortgage but am just unsure.

We are a couple late 40's.

New Bedford seems central if we do one day driving the Cape and one day seeing Newport possibly or going to Martha's Vineyard. Getting more and more confused the more forum posts I read.

Thanks for advice and help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time advice

I would not stay in New Bedford or Fairhaven if you want to be on the cape. It doesn't make any sense. Stay in Falmouth if you found something reasonable enough. Then you'll also be close to the ferry if you want to go to Martha's Vineyard one day.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time advice

Definitely stay on Cape. Falmouth is very nice, and as mentioned, easy to take the ferry to the vineyard.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 21:49
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time advice

If you are visiting Newport for sure, then maybe Sandwich or just offcape in Onset might work for you. As far as chains vs b and b, I don't get to hung up on not being able to sleep in a $500 bed when I can usually enjoy a drink at some of these fancy places and be treated like a king for a lot less money.

Boston...
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time advice

Staying in New Bedford and Fairhaven is NOT Cape Cod. You will be disappointed! Go to the maps of Cape Cod and stay any where on the upper Cape section, it lists many town options with many places to stay. B and B's on the cape are many and usually very charming. I know, I have stayed at many.

Ontario
Level Contributor
290 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time advice

Thanks for the advice, message received. If any of you that are familiar know of a good little B & B that I don't have to sell my first born to stay in, could you private message me the name for me to take a look. I mean I am not looking for a cheapy tacky place but also not wanting to spend the 300 to 450 range that I am seeing for the nice places. Maybe someone knows of something that is still a hidden gem?

Central...
Level Contributor
190 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time advice

B&B on the water is unlikely at a reasonable price, but many nice ones around. Try Yarmouth-- Liberty Inn, or others on 6A.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time advice

One possible source for a hidden gem is the newer travel site www.Airbnb.com which allows non-commercial hosts to list properties...there are regular listings there as well but you may find something there not listed elsewhere...lokk for a place with "verified photo" as they were taken by independent 3rd party.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,761 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time advice

When will you be here?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,761 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time advice

Forgot to say ... You really cannot see both the Cape & the Vineyard on the same day.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time advice

With only 2 days stay in Oak Bluffs if you can afford it. Falmouth and Woods Hole are nice too as is Chatham and Wellfleet.