We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best radio traffic updates?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best radio traffic updates?

In light of this past weekend's trafficopalypse, I'd like to be prepared to get the best traffic updates possible. Which stations (if any) provide the best and most frequent traffic updates?

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
548 reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
Go Boston Card
122 reviews
from US$57.00*
Fall on Cape Cod: Day Trip from...
84 reviews
from US$76.00*
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
37 reviews
from US$54.00*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

WBZ (1030 AM) provides updates every 10 minutes "on the 3's".

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

I rely on WBZ too. In light of the weekend traffic though, I have just downloaded the Mass. DOT's new app, RideWise. It gives traffic updates for rts. 93, 90, 3, 6, and 95.

The Mass. DOT's website has other resources too, like traffic cams and highway work alerts.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

I use Mass 511 a lot when driving. Just dial 511 on your cell phone & after a brief intro enter the route number.

http://mass511.com/preferences.sws

Edited: 09 July 2013, 16:20
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

Hmm... maybe they do special reports on the weekends, but I've never heard WBZ mention Cape traffic. And I'll be driving on weekdays. Actually, I'm going and returning on days and times when there is pretty much no chance to encounter a disaster like they had this past weekend, but I'm gonna have two tiny tots with me, and there's no way I want to risk being in a tie-up like that. There's no local station?

I considered looking for an app or website, and should probably still do that. I would be concerned that EVERYONE in that situation would be using their smart phones, too, and therefore the internet signal would be slower than molasses.

Forgot about 511. I used it a few times a few years ago, heading north.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

511 does cover Rt. 6 as well as 3 & 495

cmspock
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

So what happened? Was it a Fourth of July weekend perfect storm kind of thing? We are driving to the Cape the 20th and want to be mentally prepared for the worst.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

One story about the nightmare: bostonglobe.com/metro/…story.html

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

Does the Inrix app not work on Cape Cod? I rely heavily on it here in Seattle and most everywhere else I travel.

Central...
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

Get the google maps-traffic app. Or stream WMVY radio for ferry and traffic updates, and great music.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best radio traffic updates?

WBZ's weekend reports definitely include Cape traffic conditions... this past Sunday they began warning about serious back-ups on Rt 6 for off-Cape traffic as early as 10:30AM and continued, every 10 minutes, until at least early afternoon (when we stopped listening to any radio at all).... They also include all of the major routes into/out of/through/ and around Boston, as far west on the Mass Pike as Worcester, well north into NH on I-93 and on I-95 as far north as southern Maine (had info on the backup at the soutbound York tolls as part of this Sunday's coverage).... One of the things we like about their coverage when we're traveling to or through greater-Boston is the fact that they can, and do, update info every ten minutes...