We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Central Connecticut
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Hi all,

We are headed to the cape this week for our annual trip with the family. We stay in Dennis, but drive to many places. We always have a good time, but are looking tor a new activity this year. My wife wanted to try clamming, but my quick research seems to indicate that it's very expensive to get a permit for non-residents. I read somewhere about maybe trying to catch crabs, you don't need a permit for that, so we may try that. I was thinking about trying fishing. I used to do a decent amount of freshwater fishing, so I have some light gear, but not much suitable for salt. Is there any place where it would be easy to get something to bite a line? Kids are 12, 15, and 18.

Any suggestions that anyone has about any of these activities would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Lots of info on 'affordable cape cod' website. Scroll down to 'Food and Drink", there is a link to 'catch your own dinner' that will bring you to a blue crab page. Further down the blue crab page you will find another link for clamming information. Seems all towns have different prices and regulations but there are some reasonable permits available for non Ma residents and some for only 1 day.

You used to be able to rent canoes & fishing gear on the Bass River but looks to be only kayaks now and no mention of fishing. I have also been deep sea fishing on the Golden Eagle out of Harwich. If you normally don't spend time out on the water, something like this might be fun.

There's also a Catboat that you can go for a sail on out of Hyannis harbour. Seem to recall you can sail with a guy from Saquatucket Harbour in Harwich too. His name escapes me unfortunately, but he shouldn't be that hard to find.

Have fun on the Cape!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

When I was little I did all of these activities with my dad on the cape. For crabbing, go to North Dennis Road. There is a little bridge there and people crab on both sides of the banks at Weir Mill stream. Get some chicken parts at the grocery store, like chicken wings. Get some heavy line and tie the chicken wing to the end. Then just dangle it in the water waiting for the crab. When the crab latches onto the chicken you're going to have to scoop him up with a net. You have to be quick as they are very quick.

For fishing, there's always people fishing off of Bass River bridge. I'm not sure if there's a place to rent rods and stuff there.

I wouldn't bother with the clamming as you'd spend more for the day license than you would for just buying some clams at the grocery store probably.

Central Connecticut
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Thanks for the reply. Sailing is something we enjoy too. I actually had seen that site in my research, that's where I got the idea for crabbing. In looking a little more, I see that Eastham has a one week clamming permit for $20. That's reasonable. If we have a family doing it, does everyone need their own license? I also saw a post from someone who runs Arnolds restaraunt saying that clam prices are up right now because people are not catching many. Has anyone heard that?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

If you go clamming, only the person with the license is allowed to do it. The whole family can't do it with one license. I think if you know what you're doing, they are easy to find. If you don't, it'll take longer. The towns also tell you specifically where you can clam. There are certain areas that are restricted so that the clams have time to mature.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

A clamming (shellfishing) permit is good for the whole party, subject to a single limitation on catch (10 quarts in Eastam, for example).

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Also the Bass River bridge is under reconstruction right now and folks were never encouraged to fish from it though they did.. Our expert fisher woman is Dee known as capecodvacay on this forum and affordable cape cod is her site. See what you can find on there first and then try dropping her a private message to get her attention if the website info is not enough. There's also a co in Harwich that does strictly family fishing cruises geared toward kids. It's call something like Captain Kidds and you will see it in the free monthly publication www,kidsonthecape,com. Have fun

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
668 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

A one-week clam permit for $20 is a great deal. I would expect that as long as you only have one bucket and everyone is filling only that one bucket and if you are a family here visiting for a weeks vacation, any reasonable shellfish warden will leave you alone. By and large, the clam cops are regular guys and I think they'll leave you alone if you're out mostly to have some fun.

I gotta say, though, unless you really rinse those clams well and let them soak, the sand in them can be pretty unappetizing. (Soak them in fresh water in the biggest container you can find, change the water every thirty minutes. Don't leave them soaking in the same water too long or they'll drown. Really. They use up all the oxygen in the water and die.)

Cheers, Harry

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

This thread is a year old guys.

Central Connecticut
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Interesting that this got brought up again, as we are going back again this year, and this has come up. Last year we did not wind up doing any clamming. One thing we did was my son and his friend took a surf fishing lesson at the National Seashore station. That was fun just to get a taste of doing it. If you decide to do that though, don't have hopes of actually catching anything, they seemed to know that we wouldn't. But it was a nice lesson, and the guys doing the class were very nice.

As far as clamming goes, I just figured that since we didn't know what we were doing clamming that we decided not to do it. Maybe I will try to get some more info on it this year and give it a try.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a change, clamming, crabbing, or fishing?

Hey Jake, that is too funny. Glad you are coming back to the Cape though. Here's the link to Dee's website where you'll find all sorts of info. Let us know if you do something this year as we too always think we are going to do some fishing etc and have even looked at the surf fishing class, though you are ahead of us in actually doing it. http://www.affordable-cape-cod-vacations.com/