We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some basic questions...

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,349 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Some basic questions...

What exactly is a private beach? (We don't have them in California...) Is access restricted physically, somehow -- gates, guards? Or is it "everyone knows" they're not supposed to be there? And how well do people abide by that? (I'll be by myself and am a little concerned about security if I stay in a beach-front cottage. Do people wander up and down the private beaches at night, or are they fairly private?)

How bad will insects be in late September/early October?

Cape Cod Fast Ferry
38 Reviews
from US$60.00*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
127 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Some basic questions...

Private beaches are generally indicated by signs. Sometimes there are fences as well, but not into the water, as the water itself is considered public. So you theoretically can wade along the water's edge all along the shore even when beaches are private, but most people abide by the signage even in the water.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 11:50
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some basic questions...

Cape beaches are pretty quiet in Sept & Oct - I don't think you need to worry about people wandering by your cottage, especially if it is a private beach. As for bugs, you won't be bothered by mosquitos that late in season.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 14:34
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some basic questions...

People are allowed to WALK below the high water mark at any time but they can not stop and sit. I stay in a water front cottage in early May and late August ... and there's never been a problem. I have stayed there just me and my kids when they were both under 6, and with my husband (both before and after having kids). It's pretty quiet in May.

Only once did somebody walking the beach come anywhere near the cottage. It was about 6:30am and a couple of good samaritans were concerned about a boat anchored just off shore that was being swamped. It belonged to somebody staying in one of the cottages. These folks did not strat knocking on doors or anything, but they crossed the street to the store/office and found a worker there (even though the store wasn't opened yet) who knew who the boat belonged to and the worker knocked on the boat-owner's door.

I don't understand why you are fearful, but that's nne of my business. I can tell you at this stage in my life ... a week ALONE in a cottage on the beach would be heaven! Also, if you are looking at some of the cottage colonies that I and others mentioned in your other thread, well then, please know the cottages are close together, and most likely there will be other people in them. (September and October are popular times for empty-nesters and fishermen.) You will not be all alone.

I would not hesitate to stay alone in any of the places recommended to you in your last thread. The place I stay is like a 1960s Ozzie and Harriet neighborhood. Even if you don't "know" your neighbors, people sort of 'bond' just because they are in the same place. You wave and say good morning. If you leave your flip flops on the beach and the tide is comeing in, a neighbor might pick them up and put them on the seawall,

I lock my doors when I leave the cottage and go someplace, but other than that it's usually opened ... I put my liquor and purse out of sight as not to be attractive to a mischievous teen walking by (but they'll be home and in school when you are there, there are not many kids who live in the area year round.) ... my beach chairs, and such stay out doors the entire time I am there (unless I put them in the car to go to the drive-in ;) ) ... I've never had a problem (knock-on-wood!)

I think you'll be fine.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 16:16
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some basic questions...

Well it depends. Here in Eastham the public beaches are adjacent to private beaches on the bay side. Since there are 7 public bay beaches in Eastham, some of them fairly close together with about a dozen private homes in between, the public/private line gets a bit blurred as folks can easily walk along the waters edge in front of private homes to take a walk along the bay. Not many people walk at night but some do, as well as early morning. Usually these are folks walking their dogs or jogging.

So before you rent why don't you check to see what is nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some basic questions...

Yellow bird makes a good point. Anybody can walk near the water but they are not supposed to cross private property to get there so if there is no public access nearby you get fewer transients. But in the case of the Truro cottage colonies .... People from one colony can easily walk along the water and pass by another colony.

Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,349 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some basic questions...

I've rented vacation apartments by myself before, but always in cities, where I feel like I know the "rules". So being alone in a beach cottage reminds me of what Sherlock Holmes once told Watson.. "In a city, there are people to hear you scream." ;) But I want to get over my concerns, so I'm going for it, but figured I'd make informed decisions with more info about the local "rules". So thanks, everyone, it sounds very tranquil... just what I'm hoping for!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some basic questions...

We always have a bit of a laugh over the court reports in the Cape Cod Times. Mostly fairly minor offences but the one which amuses us the most is the "assault with a shod foot". I suppose if you are on the receiving end of the shod foot it's not so funny but the Cape is the only place we have seen this particular crime reported like this.

If you are really into getting some solitude you should read the books written by a woman who stayed on her own in one of the old dune shacks at the end of the Cape. Can't remember her name at the moment but I'll get back to you when it comes to me !!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some basic questions...

Joan Anderson, "A Year by the Sea" and also Anne Morrow Lindbergh, "A Gift from the Sea." Good bookstores on the Cape by the way. Stil have some independent owners. 2 in Orleans, one in Brewster, Yellow Umbrella in Chatham etc etc.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 21:20
Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some basic questions...

Provincetown Bookshop, 246 Commercial Street

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Commercial Street
Commercial Street
1,926 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some basic questions...

Tim's books. Zillions of used books. Fun!

242 Commercial street, Ptown.