We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

ontario
Level Contributor
176 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

Hello, I have made reservations to stay in Chatham for 4 nights next month. We were thinking of driving from Buffalo so we would have our car. Has anyone on this forum done this? I've read it's at 8-9 hour drive from Buffalo. Last year we flew to Boston and rented a car. By the time we left our house for the airport and picked up the car & drove there it took just over 6 hours. Just wondering if its a nice drive or hectic. Thanks!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

Unless, you make it a multi-day trip with stops, its pretty much highway driving from Buffalo to Chatham. You take I-90 all the way to Boston Suburbs & then take I-495 to the Cape. Sections of I-90 between Utica & Albany and Berkshires in Massachusetts are through the mountains and can be considered scenic, otherwise, it is pretty much a two lane highway.

Also, keep in mind the online driving direction estimate of 8-9 hours probably does not take into consideration the local traffic. Depending on the time & day of travel, your travel time could be considerably longer.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

We have been driving it every year for about 40 years, from the Toronto area. It's a very easy drive on the whole. We used to do it in one day but now stay overnight in the Albany area. Provided that you don't take too long stopping for gas, food etc you should be able to do it in about 9 hours.

We have thought about flying and renting a car as we have aged but like you we found that it doesn't save a lot of time and it certainly adds to the cost of getting there. We will be there in September for three weeks and will drive with a stop overnight in Albany as usual.

It's a divided highway by the way, not sure what RelaxByTravel means by a two lane highway.

I note that you say that you will be travelling from Buffalo but you have Ontario as your location. It will take longer of course if you are starting from across the border.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 19:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

Just to be clear, I was trying to say, it is two lanes(mostly) in each direction.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

That's not the case in most of Massachusetts. By your definition, mostly 3 or 4 lanes in each direction here, although there are parts particularly near Cape Cod that fit your 2-lane definition.

5. Re: Driving from Buffalo to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:19