We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

We got back on Saturday from Orleans and I wish we were still there! Here is a review.our group of 10 were between 2.5-65 years of age.We made the mistake of leaving central CT at 9.30am and it took us FIVE HOURS to get to orleans! Yes,5hrs...we hit traffic before we got the bridge,then bridge traffic,then more cape traffic.In the past we left earlier than 8am and were fine. FOOD. Hearth & Kettle - I heard mixed reviews on this place but out party enjoyed their sesrvice and their food.we went 2x here for breakfast. Cooke's - we didn't care for their food.we had lobster roll (well,lobster SALAD roll),clam strips,burger,fried fisherman platter.we ate everything but just didn't think it was worth a return trip.service was good. Nauset Farms - LOVE this place! Best sausage...we also had steak n cheese which was so so and a breakfast sandwich.they have jar sauce that was delish and fresh vegtables.glad we found this place,we even brought sausage home to freeze.and clam chowder was delish Lobster Claw - TERRIBLE! The food was so so (lobsters,shrimp,steamers...) the waitress was so rude and the wait was so long.when the waitress gave us our check she said "gratuity is included" and I just looked at her and said "oh that explains it then".and no wonder this was the only place at 5.30pm on Friday night that had lots of open tables... Marion's Pie Shop (Chatham)- excellent baked goods,the 7 layer bars were out of this world.We came here twice.both times the ladies who worked there were rude.The mac n cheese pie wasn't good (we had to try it). Young's (at Rock Harbor) - lobster roll was good but again,it was more like a lobster salad roll.I think this is the norm on the cape. Oleans Villa Pizza - all dough,no sauce. The Chocolate Sparrow-yummy treats and lots of them! ACTIVITIES. Skaket Beach - beautiful and warm.low tide the young kids caught crabs and mini hermit crabs (although we did end up seeing a big hermit crab really far out).when the tide was coming in was when our 2.5yr old got to swim.small to no waves,water warm.small beach but it was never an issue.our cottage was 3min walk away.Sunsets were beautiful every night.lots of toddlers and babies during low tide and older children during high tide.not a good beach for teens or singles. Zooquarium- this place has such bad reviews but we loved it here!this was probably our sons favorite thing we did.he even sat through the mini show they had w an alligator (we got to touch).the animals here have seen better days,especially the peacock with his 5 feathers! Chatham Fish Pier-this is our favorite place to visit.the seals,the fishermen and their yucky catch (we saw skate and dog fish come in) the beautiful harbor and delicious seafood. Train Museum (Chatham)-I thought our son would really enjoy this place but it was what is was,an actual train museum full of reallllly old stuff.glad we went but would probably not return.the caboose in the back wasn't a big hit with him either.the train at the zooquarium held his attention longer.this is a good place for older folk.nothing Thomas related here! The playground across the street made the trip here worth it. Art's Dune Tour (ptown) -awesome!! We all had so much fun on this tour.it was perfect amount of time for the little ones.I only wish we had more of an ocean view. I'm not going to get into shopping,to much to list.all and all I like Orleans the best and would return next year.I do like Mayflower beach over Skaket but the town itself makes up for it.there is so much I can't wait to do when we return and orleans is was perfect because of its central location (kinda).

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

Thanks for posting. Yes, a lobster roll in Massachusetts is generally lobster salad, not just the meat.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

Glad to hear that your vacation was good on the whole and that you enjoyed staying in Orleans. We'll be there in a few weeks for our usual three weeks stay.

conn
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

Nice to see a trip report from Cape Cod. Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

Thanks for sharing, great trip report. Sounded like a lot of fun! Nice food reviews, too. We like H & K also; weren't impressed with the lobster claw restaurant either. Know what you mean about the lobster rolls, hard to find CT style hot buttered lobster rolls! (here and in Maine, the salad style is more common).

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

My only comment now is that I found it somewhat hard to read (with my vision issues) due to lack of paragraphs and blank lines so I couldn't easily keep track of where i was -- it was like one huge run-on sentence and i doubt you can edit it now to fix that but be aware of it in future, ok? I would have put each place mentioned on a new line when possible and not had more than 8-10 lines per paragraph..

Glad you had some fun in my town of Chatham!.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 04:06
CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

The review was organized when I first wrote it.as soon as I posted it,it was a huge mess!I tried to find where to edit it and was not able to.sorry it looks so confusing,wasn't my intention lol.I don't mind the lobster salad rolls but not for almost $17

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

Thanks for the trip report. I enjoyed reading it. I LOVE Art's Dune Tours.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

jmestyle: You only have 5 min after posting to edit it, I think -- after that time, the Edit button vanishes...

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

Shaw's in Orleans sells small lobster rolls in its fresh fish section for about $7 if I remember correctly. Even though they are of the lobster salad variety we find them enough for us and good for lunch. Decent amount of lobster.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Review in Orleans w young kids

jmestyle, if you are bothered by the look of your post you can ask for it to be removed by using the report inappropriate content button. Then post it again in paragraphs. You could even improve it if you wanted to add more info. I know how irritating it is to try to edit sometimes.