We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

North Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

I have a photo of my dad and grandpa from almost 60 years ago next to a statue in Cape Cod (maybe Nantucket). It apparently used to be on the bow of a boat, ie: figurehead?

I didn't know if I could embed a photo here but here is a link to it (hope it works!): …photobucket.com/albums/…image.jpg

We are heading to the Cape tomorrow thru Thursday and would love to recreate this shot with my daughter if this is still in existence!

My dad once told me it was in Nantucket but last night he said he thought it was en route to Provincetown on left hand side...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

I have been driving Boston to Ptown at least twice a year since the mid 80s and I can't place it. Hopefully somebody can.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

Never seen it myself either. Maybe post this on the Nantucket forum?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

I don't recognize it.

Do you have a twitter account? There are a few folks on twitter that maybe able to help. I would ask @universalhub

North Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

Thx. I'll check with universalhub and Nantucket forum.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

I think it's unusual to have a male figurehead. The clothing is also a little unusual especially the bow tie. I'm wondering if it has commercial connexions? Advertising outside a store perhaps? Difficult to tell from the photo but it may not be a wood carving. Interesting though. I've never seen it. Perhaps try sending the photo to the various museums on the Cape. I'm sure that someone is going to remember it.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

We have been all over the outer cape and never seen this. If I were you I would contact the Nantucket Historical Society: http://www.nha.org/

You could also contact the historian at the Cape Cod National Seashore where there are archives of historical features. The figure looks a lot like Captain Edward Penniman, whose house is now part of the Fort Hill Area and sits across the street from our home. Take a look and see what you think.

nps.gov/caco/…Pennimanexhibitfinal.pdf

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

I just responded on the Nantucket forum, he is in the Nantucket Whaling museum & is Capt. Daniel Tenney. Evidently, male ship's prows were not that unusual. (I love this kind of stuff, total geek that I am)

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ma02/index/ships/male/male4.html

www.flickr.com/photos/jacobkrejci/2183678183/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

Great detective work Kendrick! This is why TA is so awesome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92943860@N00/2676071117/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

All credit should go to Penny at BostonZest!

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this statue still exist? If so, where?

Thanks for solving the mystery ! I was thinking that it looked to be in Nantucket.