We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

We found a rental in Yarmouth directly on a private beach (South Shore. Drive).I tried pinpointing where it is and it looks like Seagull or Bass River beach.Is this a nice beach area?We are running in the other direction if it is rocky lol.Is the water clear?I know it is on the sound side and we have bever been on this side before.in CT beaches on the sound are cloudy and freezing

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

If you are looking for a rock free, white sand and clear water beach, jump in the car and drive over to Mayflower Beach in Dennis. It will not disappoint.

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

Mayflower was our first Cape stay 2yrs ago.Love it there but looking for a different town to stay in.We visited a beach in Sandwich last fall and it was full of rocks,not very fun

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

The other direction (lol) is where I found two of the beaches with the most rocks,, (but interesting to collect, there's such a neat variety!, great for taking a walk,,) are the Town Neck beach (with the boardwalk over the marsh, and Sandy Neck beach, on the Sandwich/Barnstable line. (I'd always joke with CT peeps-- that this beach should be called Rocky Neck, due to all the rocks,, and Rocky Neck beach in CT should be called Sandy Neck,, due to the soft sand there!!)

Also, to me, the nantucket sound beaches are warmer, which I like for swimming. There can be seaweed, (that doesn't bother me). There can sometimes be jellyfish, both the clear moons that are harmless, to others that sting. The sound beaches have a nice variety of shells for beachcombing: clam, scallop, boat, jingle shells to name a few. At certain times, empty horseshoe crabs wash up, and you can find those! The sand at these beaches are easier to have a blanket on.

That's the nice thing about the Cape,, so many beaches,, with their own personalities/styles,, (& I enjoy them all!)

Edited: 30 August 2013, 13:43
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

Bass River beach is my favorite. It's not rocky at all. I haven't been to Seagull beach in years so can't comment there. There is definitely seaweed though. My husband complains about this but I tell him it's the ocean, and he needs to deal. The only place I've seen really clear water is the carribean. lol.

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

Capelily I know what you mean about Rocky Neck in CT.The sand is so soft!

I don't mind the seaweed,you just step over it.I think Yarmouth might be a good option for our next visit.Can't wait to go to Pirates Cove!

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

The description says " short stroll down the beach to the mouth of Parkers River "

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

I've rented what I think is one of these same properties for late September, and did a Google Earth look... http://goo.gl/maps/2IZcc

It looks to me like there are some rocks (maybe a submerged breakwater?) just off the beach and some rocks on the beach near the house, but it looked fairly sandy. Of course, I can't tell if the photo was taken at high or low tide.... if high tide, then I can't tell if you'd be able to walk directly into the water from their beach. But at that time of year, I'm more interested in looking at the water than swimming... I assume it will be too cold for ocean bathing.

8. Re: Is Seagull Beach or Bass River Beach rocky??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:19