We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

My husband and I will be traveling with our 2 year old son to the Cape next week (Sept 12th - 15th). We were hoping to get some beach time but the forecast is calling for showers. Any suggestions on family activities during a rainy vacation on Cape Cod? We are staying in N. Truro but don't mind driving to other towns. Thanks so much!!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Hi, Monica - here is a link to a Top Question (found on the right side of the page)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k2930…

Don't worry too much about the forecast this far out, but do bring a rain jacket & sweatshirts. Also, check the Cape Cod Times newspaper for up to the minute activity listing

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

If you do end up with rain, bring some family games or go shopping for them. It cam be a tremendous family boding experience :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Go to the PilgrimMonument in Ptown. Climb to the top. It is a a short flight of stairs, a series of ramps with two steps at the corners and then a last short flight of stairs. My daughter was 2.5yo the first time she climbed it. She went up just fine. She had a bit of trouble getting down because she would pick up speed on the ramps and not negotiate the corners well so I while I held one hand I had her keep the other on the wall and having to focus on that slowed her down a bit. She was so proud when she finished !!!

That said .... I wouldn't put too much faith in the forecast this far out. I could very well be sunny. Wunderground.com is calling for rain on Thursday the 12th and clear after that. The weather channel shows something different

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Driving to a different town is a good idea. There has been lots of shower activity this summer in P-town and Wellfleet but not much in Orleans and Eastham. The weather on the Cape is very hard to predict from one town to another. It's a good idea to look at current radar and go to the location that is outside the rainy area.

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Last month we took our 2.5yr old on the Arts Dune Tour in ptown.We also did Zooquarium in S Yarmouth on a drizzling day.Chatham seals are fun to watch rain or shine.Any playground would be fun on a cloudy day.There is the fish hatchery in Sandwich you can maybe go to on your way up.We went last yr and he loved it.Wish we had a chance this yr.oh and there's some critter cruise that leaves out of ptown.its kinda expensive though

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Go to the town fishing pier in Chatham. The seals are there rain or shine, so long as the fishing boats are active. Usually mid- to late-morning is a good bet.

As others have said, I wouldn't rely on a forecast this far in advance anyway. They're always wrong :)

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your responses. I feel much better!! Thanks again!

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

Just in the last week here on Cape, we;ve had forecasts for rain that didn't happen and sun that became rain instead and that was forecasts just from the day before so going that far out isn't really much chance of being true...

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

There is a movie theater in Eastham, go to P-town, believe it or not a tour of the Cape cod chip factory is a great activity for a rainy day.

Norfolk...
Level Contributor
100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainy Cape Cod Vacation

As others have mentioned, weather on the Cape varies from town to town, especially on the elbow (Chatham) and the Outer Cape. One thing I loved to do when my kids were that little on a rainy day was head to the local library. In addition to lots of books, most have play areas for the little ones and often there is a story time or other activity going on- just check on-line ahead of time. Have fun!