We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with the kids

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with the kids

My boyfriend and I are taking his children (6 & 9) for a week (8/28-9/3), and although we realize it's very late in the season, we have been told by many that Cape Cod is the place to go. We are absolutely openminded as to any other towns recommended in the area as well.

We would prefer something on the slightly more upscale side, not needing nor expecting five star of course. We don't know if renting a house (perhaps with a pool) is a better option than finding a nice motel. I would love something on or very close to the beach and would greatly appreciate any suggestions re: what town should we be looking in, type of accomodations, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Carrie

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with the kids

How about beachfront at 1 Leeward Lane in West Dennis, MADennis, MA. Just $1650 for the three bedroom due to your almost off-season arrival.

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with the kids

CapeCodCharlie,

Thanks, that is certainly a possibility. How many bathrooms? Can you tell me more about the house?

Carrie

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with the kids

Perhaps one of the Red Jacket resorts would work for you.

redjacketresorts.com/resorts/blue-water-reso…

redjacketresorts.com/resorts/green-harbor-re…

redjacketresorts.com/resorts/red-jacket-beac…

redjacketresorts.com/resorts/riviera-beach-r…

Regardless of where you end up staying, you're certain to have a fantastic time!!!

Naomi

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with the kids

We have beautiful beaches in Dennis both on the Nantucket Sound side and Cape Cod Bay and a lot of beachfront property. I just looked on www.marthamurrayrealestate.com and found that one. Take a look.

I selected that site because that's the realtor who rents our home for us and they are experts in this lovely and conveniently located mid-Cape area. You could also call and speak to Debra, Martha or Agnes, tops in that office, for advice.

I also looked at www.weneedavacation.com which I think is the best of the do-it-yourself sites. Your experience will vary as the site is just a marketing arm for a large group of homeowners who will all have varying perspectives.

While I'd rather see you have the help of an expert, I was looking for some other options and with a pool. I found a house (on weneed) in a gated Yarmouth community which has a pool and tennis courts and there's an available house directly on the beach in Great Island. That one was $3600. for the week that you want but was more upscale than the first one I mentioned.

Especially with kids a house can be best cause you don't have to be on top of each other and you can stock breakfast and some snacks at least. BUT, by the time you arrive most restaurants will not have very long waits to get in. You are going when we always go too and the most popular places are still packed but it is nothing like it would be were you there this week.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with the kids

I see that 1 or the other side, 3, Leeward both have 1 bathroom. However, like many houses, they both have the enclosed outdoor shower. Men especially seem to enjoy showering there.

To find this go onto the site and go to rentals, at the next screen page down and enter the date and 3 bedrooms. Next you'll have the option to select beachfront and voila...there it is. I would suggest you call however to see if they have any cancellations and/or can fit you into something more upscale if that is what you need. Good luck. Even though it IS very late, that date is less popular due to school.

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with the kids

Thanks for the great suggestions. Minivanmom, I am going to look into the redjacket resorts.....thanks!

I thought we had found the perfect house, and the price is great, but I hadn't realized that Provincetown (location of the house) was so far from the Chatham/Dennis area.

Are most of the "attractions" located in the Chatham area? I am just not sure now where we should be looking.

Thanks.

Carrie

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with the kids

I think we may have found a house! It's in Chatham, 5bedroom, 2.5 bath, deck, grill, AC units, W/D, outdoor shower, etc. only $2400 for the week!

Does that seem too good to be true? Also, the living room/dining room area has no A/C. Should we be concerned about it getting very warm? Personally, I don't do very well in humid/hot weather.

Sorry if these questions all seem silly. I am so appreciative of the help thus far, and I want to make sure we have as much info as possible.

Thanks again.

Carrie

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with the kids

By the way, if anyone is interested in looking, it is ID #5999 on weneedavacation.com.

Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with the kids

hi cjaf....seems like we have the same taste when it comes to rentals...sorry, but i am just not into the knotty pine w/ ruffled curtains look.....love something on the new side also... had good luck using ricotta and assoc. in chatham. the staff is friendly and efficient. their website is easy w/ lots of pics. we spent way more than our budget on the 4 bed.on barcliff but it made our week all the more memorable. the house on weneedavacation looks nice but maybe there is something available closer to the beach.....chatham is our fav place on the cape!...only 12 miles via route 28 to the national seashore beaches.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with the kids

I think the house looks to be terrific for that price...lots of room & amenities, love the idea of a ping-pong table for the kids in case you have a rainy day :-)

I wouldn't worry about the lack of AC in the living/dining area. The house I rent in Chatham has no AC whatsover [electricity is very expensive on the Cape], and although I don't handle hot, humid weather well myself, the lack of AC has only bothered me when I've been there midJuly - midAugust.

Although the house is not close to a beach, School House Pond is nice and a very walk-able distance, even for 6-year-old. And it's no big deal to drive to the beach because you need not drive through the center of town to get to some fine, local ones. Although the listing mentions Hardings Beach, a nicer one imo is Cockle Cove Beach.

The house is very close to the Chatham Airport. There's a little cafe there where it's fun to have breakfast or lunch and watch the private planes take off & land. And don't forget to make frequent stops at Marion's Pie Shop for toothsome baked goods, and entrees/side dishes too :-)

Hope you love Chatham as much as I do!