We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

VA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

We're looking to spend a week in Cape Code in late September, and found the listing below, a VRBO/Homeaway listing: http://www.vrbo.com/3543827ha#location

It looks like a gorgeous house, but my question - how to verify that this is a legit listing, and not a scammer?

Also, what questions should we be asking the home-owner, to protect both us and them?

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

Legit. If they take HomeAway payments that means you'll pay through HomeAway, and it must go to a person who created that account and gave HA banking information. It's super-hard and inconvenient to perpetrate a scam in this circumstance. But, you don't know me! So, Anne, the owner says she grew up in the area. Call her after you send in an inquiry for dates to chat about what to do in the area and just general questions. She should be completely comfortable talking about what to do.

The place looks beautiful. Good luck.

LMM

(Also a vacation rental owner.)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

Looks like a great house, and there are no warning bells on the description. The house is also advertized on www.weneedavacation.com.

As LoonMountainMan says, call the owner and talk to them about the house and the area. I've often stayed in Wellfleet and this is a great place for views and the beach. In late September it should be nice for walking the beach, but maybe not so much for swimming.

Most Wellfleet restaurants should still be open and the shops too.

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

Hi

Legit! Although I don't know the specific house, I do know the area, great spot, Sept will be nice...no crowds, weather should be good, beach empty during the week ( almost).

If your still concern, look the house up on the Wellfleet assessor database to verify owner

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,806 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

I am going to be odd man out here. I am bothered by the fact that the only two reviews are obviously cut and pasted from elsewhere ( like emails). And ... the rate calendar is not up to date. It lists "April Vacation week" as April 13-20 . That was in 2013. This year it would be 19-26. It is a School vacation week that corresponds with Patriots' Day which is the 21st.

That said, I agree with LoonMM, the payment process adds a level of comfort. Call and talk and see what kind of feeling you get. Here is one thing to ask .... be very clear about your late September dates and ask about the Beachcomber. It is listed as the "nearest pub" It is a spectacular, quirky, place. But ... It closes on Labor Day and will not be opened when you are there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

And while the reviews are "anonymous" the second guests left their names at the bottom. If you google the names, they are real people in west springfield, ma and the phone number is even available. No such thing as privacy any more. Some folks aren't great at keeping the calendars up or updating the descriptions so I would not get too excited about that. Looks fine to me and I rent all the time thru vrbo and other sites without ever having a problem.

There are insurances you can take if you are still concerned to protect your money (although not necessarily your vacation).

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

The owner says that she bought it in 2013 and work has been done on decks etc so I wouldn't expect too many reviews from last year as it probably wasn't rented out much. Both rental sites are reputable, the house is already almost fully booked for this season, safe method of payment. It's a long time until the end of September, I would think that if there were problems there's plenty of time to hear about them.

The fact that one of the dates is incorrect is a minor detail.

Similar to neslaw, we have been renting for over 40 years on the Cape, Bermuda, Wales, Florida, Virginia, etc and have never had a problem. We use realtors, rental sites and other means. Just do some homework and if it doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 14:12
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

I suppose folks might indeed be concerned about reviews that are pasted onto the site by the owner. We have that same problem because our 100% happy reviews are generally left in our guest book, a couple of times by email (as we leave all our contact info in the house) and one lady writes a note and leaves a small gift. Even so we had two families find their way to wherever they posted lovely reviews last year. Maybe I need to remove the guest book, though we can't wait to season's end to arrive and read the book.....and see what funny furniture arrangement we have been left too....lol.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

Nice area. Here is some additional info. I am not sure this is the property but the roof line and sq ft area look similar

assessedvalues2.com/pdfs/318/K002544T3796821…

assessedvalues2.com/pdfs/318/K002544T3796821… (second cottage back from the water on the right?)

One thing you should know is that Wellfleet has a warrant on the town meeting agenda to add room tax (about 10%) to all home/cottage/condo rentals. If it passes, it may be retroactive.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

I gave this another look -- since we have some doubters (that's okay -- good to be careful). I happen to know a lot about how scams work. Here's why this listing is not a scam:

The phone number can be traced to Anne, the owner. That same number finds the same home listed for six years on We Need A Vacation's website. You simply cannot run a scam that long. Someone complains and the listing is removed. (Ann probably inherited the listing from the last owner.)

The calendar for the summer is full. A scammer wants an empty calendar so he's not turning away any victims.

And a note about reviews - they are HARD to get. I have about 15-20 rentals per year, everyone loves my place, they write glowing notes in our guest books -- and I can't get them to go online to leave a review. I get, on average one review per year! Don't let it worry you.

LMM

(who wishes he was going to that house this summer!)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Cape Cod Rental by owner, South Wellfleet

Not very grammatical, but me too !! I have to admit that we rarely write reviews apart from a few words in the Guest Book at the rental. September seems to be fully booked on the weneedavacation site so perhaps the OP has already booked or has lost out. Hope they come back and tell us and write a review after their stay !!