We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

CT
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

If you had a choice, with 4 kids ages 6 -11 and wanting to walk to the beach, would you rent a Bayside townhouse at Ocean Edge with access to beach, or a cottage/house at Red Jacket in Yarmouth close to the water? Not sure which would be better. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

I have not stayed at RJ but have stayed at OE. It is a beautiful property and has wonderful amenities including an indoor pool and fitness facilities. There are great programs for families and the bayside beaches are perfect for younger kids. You are also not far from Nauset Beach in Orleans which is a terrific ocean beach with great waves. The Cape Cod Rail Trail bike path goes right through Brewster, and I am pretty sure OE has bikes available (though, double-check that) If not, there are places to rent nearby. Brewster is a very family-oriented town- you can stop by the Brewster Store for penny candy & the Brewster Scoop for ice cream, and visit the Cape Cod Natural History Museum which has lots of programs for kids. Enjoy!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

Kendrick, since you are familiar with OE, are the Bayside townhouses right ON CC Bay as the name seems to suggest?

Kathy, there is a real big difference in accommodations at OE. I had a chance to peek into one of the individual units (could have been a townhouse I guess) that was just a very short stroll to their beach and it was really fab. At the same time I visited a family who was renting a condo/villa across the street and the ambiance was entirely different and very disappointing. Just be sure as to what you are booking.

OE is more sophisticated or upscale than Red Jacket but if the kids are having fun then you can relax and RJ is perhaps a little better known for kids programs. Sorry, this did not help much but I guess it depends on your taste.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

If the townhouse is part of the Presidential Bay Collection, then yes it is a short walk ( a couple hundred yards) with direct access to the private beach. If is its part of the the Ocean Edge Villages, then it does not have this.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

And I have never stayed at OC, but my kids loved RJ when they were young. Also, RJ being closer to Rt 28 and Yarmouth, there are many ice cream shops, mini golf courses, etc and is closer to all the kid friendly restaurants between Hyannis and Dennis. As I frequently say, there aren't many bad options just different options. Never heard of anyone who stayed at OE say, wish I went to RJ or vice versa.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

@Kathye916, I can't say for any given day, but the Ocean Edge is likely to be much more expensive than the Red Jacket. Have you already checked prices?

@CapeCodCharlie, if I recall correctly, there's a wooden footbridge over the dunes (and swamp?) from the Ocean Edge's kept grounds to the beach. It's been about 10 years since I was there.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 11:06
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

I meant marsh, not swamp.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

LOL Firewind. I think the PC term for swamp is now wetlands but on the Cape, I believe you're right, it's marsh

CT
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

Thanks for all the incite. I ruled out Red Jacket - with tax the rental comes out to a lot more than the OE bayside property. Now I am looking at something in Sears Point condo association which looks to be right on the beach as well in Brewster - wondering anyone familiar that?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

I have not stayed there but had saved one of the vrbo listings as a potential rental for my own family. Great location, private beach.Brewster is a wonderful place for a family with young kids. Your best bet is to read the reviews carefully & make sure to get all of your questions answered before paying a deposit.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Edge Bayside or Red Jacket?

Well, if you want a 'man on the ground' for rentals in Brewster you might want to contact Michael Leighton. He is an expert in real estate sales in Brewster and he has summer rentals as well. cape-cod-condos.com/CondoComplex/Sears-Point For the summer rentals you can just speak to his rental staff. Mary Lou or one of the others.

Back to OE, the units that I saw were just steps to the beach and looked fabulous. Just depends on your budget. You can also look at Linger Longer by the Sea for beachfront and, in Dennis right on the sand at beautiful Mayflower Beach is http://www.oceanvista.net/reservations.shtml

The best places book early so keep moving forward as you are. Good luck.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod