We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

We are looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer for the week of Aug 30-Sept 6 for two middle age adults. We've been to Cape Cod several times and have stayed in Orleans and P-Town but we would like to stay near the Bay and looking for recommendations. Thank you.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

Have you considered contacting a real estate company. I think that would be you best course. Most of the companies have rental properties online that you can see.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

Linger Longer by the Sea has a variety of accommodations, on the bay in Brewster.

http://www.lingerlongerbythesea.com/

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

You can also check out www.weneedavacation.com Orleans also has a lovely Bay side beach, Skaket. Will you have a car?

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

Keep in mind that, as this includes Labor Day weekend, the competition will be tough, last chance for summer and all that, so the sooner you get a foot in the door, the better, in spades. If you don't find an independent accommodation that works, also keep in mind that the Ocean Edge resort in Brewster also has the style and surroundings you are seeking, but it will be a good bit more pricey. [I have no connection with the Ocean Edge.]

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

Thanks all! We have stayed in Orleans before and we will have a car, we are driving from New York. Yes I realize it is Labor Day weekend that is why we are looking to get set up now. I looked at some of these sites, I have chosen a few options but am not super positive about any so I am still collecting info.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

As to websites to use, I always suggest Airbnb.com as well....they have some listings the other sites don't because it doesn't charge hosts a fee to list (customer pays a booking fee instead)...it's gotten me 3 new tenants this summer so far...some here seem to have an aversion to it but it's the biggest player in the "informal B&B" market but also includes some formal businesses as well.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

If you decide to go the airbnb route keep in mind that many places are not inspected for safety and there are no guarantees that they are legal rentals. Read the extensive terms of agreement before entering into any kind of lodging contract.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

yellowbird : The same can be said for the other popular listing services, and I've seen multiple threads here about issues with rentals made via those sites...not saying Airbnb is perfect but it provides some insurance/assurance that rental is legit...and if you see a listing with Airbnb Verified photos, those were taken by a Airbnb contracted photographer so it's NOT the owner supplied pix which can be deceptive/misleading...not sure if other sites do that.

As a satified host using their site and having had a number of happy customers via them, I'll stick up for them because they seem to provide better protection to both sides than other sites.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

Pleasant...you are a bonafide owner who is legitimate and licensed. You are (presumably :-) a law abiding, tax paying, owner who has every right to advertise anyway you want. I know that airbnb is a huge company, basically a booking engine for short term rentals, and it is very popular. It is the current "hip" accommodation provider on the web. I'm sure it meets the needs of many folks who are looking for budget lodging. My issue is this: the reason some owners can list on the site offering budget lodging is that they are not paying the taxes, licenses and fees that legitimate owners pay. Airbnb sort of flies under the radar offering rooms in homes that may not be zoned for rentals or as a B+B.. Many owners who list on the site have not passed the safety inspection. They do not have the kind of commercial insurance required to host travelers. And they surely have not passes the board of health food safety requirements... if they are indeed a B+B. But I guess that most of the rentals are not B+Bs. Would you agree?

So I stand by my gripe. Maybe I should broaden it to all of the illegal rental sites. Maybe the towns should be more proactive in searching out these illegal rentals and insisting that they comply with the rules and regulations that the rest of us live by. Or maybe the towns should just eliminate all regulation so we can all enjoy the freedom to take in as many lodgers as we want, disregarding the cost to our neighbors.

I understand that the site works well for you. In fact you are a perfect fit! It costs you nothing to list and the user pays the commission. Perfect. My gripe is not with you. Honest.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Condo or small house near Brewster late summer

yellowbird -- Fully understand your points and agree basically -- my issue was that a vacation rental like a cottage/home is totally different from a B&B situation where it would be more regulated -- anyone can list their cottage/home for rent via FlipKey/VRBO/WeNeedAVacation/Homeaway/etc as I understand it and they don't have any more inspections or regulations than Airbnb does...those other sites depend on hosts paying a listing fee and Airbnb puts the fee on guest...the BNB part of their name can be misleading in many cases since many places only provide the space and not any food...but thats how it began and name stuck!

If someone lists their own cottage to others via VRBO, for ex, I am not aware of any rules/regs that would stop that...it's not illegal (assuming it's not a condo or under a HOA, and even that isn't illegal but may be invalid under those rules) and the town isn't going to do any checking on it...

You are also a legit business as i recall and pay fees like I do...but those only apply to multi-unit places who are obvious to the town...and I think the listings on Airbnb are single unit mostly...