We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 posts
Save Topic
Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

My husband and I are planning a last week of May or first week of June for 7 to 10 days. We are 50ish and enjoy watching boats at harbor so know we would like a property with these views. We would also like to see some history and be able to walk to restaurants and shops. We would like to prepare some meals ourself so would like those accommodations. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have looked at all the different areas and they all sound appealing so it is difficult to settle in on a location. Thank you.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

So...you want a house with harbor views that is within walking distance to town in a historic area?

Hmmmm, tall order. Perhaps you should start by picking the area (upper cape, mid-cape, lower cape, outer cape) that sounds most appealing based on the kind of atmosphere and ease of getting around, and then decide if it is more important to be on a harbor or to walk to town. I am at a loss to think of a place that has all of your needs.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

Definitely on the harbor and hopefully we can walk to things to do. If not, we will have a car. Hope that makes it easier.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

Being able to watch activity at the harbor can be a problem as there aren't that many rentals or other place to stay that close to a working harbor. You could try Provincetown, Wellfleet or Chatham. All three have working harbors and you can walk to things from lodgings. You might contact real estate agencies in those towns.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

Try www.thecoveorleans.com Not really a harbour but plenty of boats to watch and right in the middle of Orleans. I believe they have some accommodation with cooking facilities. Walk to restaurants and shopping. Will need a car for the beach. Nauset on the ocean and Skaket on the Bay side.

There is a cottage for rent in the boatyard on Arey's Pond in Orleans. You'll see lots of boats on the water and they actually build boats there. I'll see if I can find the listing for you. Can't walk to shops and restaurants from there however.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 00:11
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

See www.vrbo.com/293093

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

This cottage is in Wellfleet overlooks the harbor

weneedavacation.com/Cape-Cod/…

Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

Thank you all. I will look at these.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

In Boston, if you are determined to have a kitchen/ apt rental, you might look at the North End. Possible some rentals there would have a view. I think you should not expect to get a rental apt (short term) with a view of the water in Boston. Although perhaps some of the hotels along the waterfront have suites with kitchenettes?

If you want the view more than being handy to the main sights, you could also look for your lodgings in Winthrop, East Boston, Charlestown and check on a map or get photos showing whether the units have a view. Many units in Charlestown have a view, I believe.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

Thank you Maxie but I have had my heart set on the cape cod area for years. I may sacrifice the kitchen to get a place down on a harbor. Still looking.....

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stay and things to see for first time visitors

http://www.anchorin.com/default.asp

The busiest harbor town is Hyannis. Many regulars here do not recommend it because, north of Main St, it is the commercial hub of the Cape. However it meets your interests and is in the middle of the Cape giving you good access to all other areas with your car and even simple access to the ferries to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard for a fun day trip.

The harbor area and Main St (all walkable) offer a wealth of dining whether at a fish fry type restaurant on a dock over the harbor or one of the sophisticated restaurants of Main St. There's many choices. You can also enjoy evening entertainment all within walking distance of your motel on the harbor if you choose Anchorin. I believe you would have to give up doing your own meal prep but, hey, you are on vacation right? It's a thought.