We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

I am heading to the Cape in a few hours and I heard that due to construction there are long backups at the Sagamore. I drove r/t to Hyannis last Saturday. It was quite obvious that work was in progress, but nobody was working on Saturday. It is really out of my way to go over the Bourne, but I will go that way if I have to.

Does anybody know what I might find heading on Cape about 10 or 11 this morning?

Thanks!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

We had a full hour back up delay getting off cape this week, mid-day...and we were trying to go over the Bourne bridge from Rt 6. Construction is ongoing M-F from 8:30 am-4:30 pm so I suppose you should plan to go whichever route seems to be flowing. Once you get to the bridge things move along pretty good so if I were you and traffic was backed up as you approach the Sagamore bridge on Rt 3 I would just sit it out and take the Sagamore. You won't be able to get to the Bourne bridge exit until the last minute anyway so you may as well just sit tight and go over the Sagamore.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Thanks Yellowbird.

My hubby was suggesting 128 to 495 to Bourne. And that is REALLY OUT of the way.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 12:17
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,606 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

If it's really backed up up to exit 2, maybe you can get off there and take 3A and head to the Bourne.

Sometimes it's just easier and not any longer to stay put and wait it out. But I agree with you, going 495 seems endless.

Enjoy the weekend!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Well I took your advice and stuck to rte 3 and it was perfect. First sign I saw said "sagamore, 19 miles/26 minutes". I was ok with that. We stopped at the Plymouth rest stop so there would be no whining if we got stuck in traffic. Then I saw the sign that said "7 miles/7 minutes". I got there at about 11:30 and not a worker in site. I know from talking to others there were backups earlier .., the must have wrapped up early. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,606 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Great! And stopping at Plymouth was brilliant.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Glad it worked out for you. Let's hope the same is true on your return trip!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Trip home on Monday was also uneventful. Crossed the bridge at about 1pm, and I saw a few workers climbing ladders onto that corrugated metal "roof" they have constructed (eek!!!) But all lanes were opened.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 11:47
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

Ahhh, lucky you! Let's hope all of our visitors sail over the bridges this summer!

9. Re: Sagamore Bridge today, Friday May 16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17