We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watchin from the shore ?

Brabant Wallon
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whale watchin from the shore ?

Hi, w're planning to go to Boston in August and we would like to see some whales but we want to avoid the tourist boats, is there anywhere one can watch them, even from a distance, from the shore ? Thanks for your advice!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

No.

Whales do not often come close to shore and not into Boston Harbor. Sometimes, the National Seashore Visitors Center in Provincetown (a 2.5-3 hour drive from Boston) sets up telescopes on their observation deck when the whales are about a mile off their shore .. But Provincetown is "out to sea".

The whale watches are actually good. Not really a "tourist boat".

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Are you planning to go to Cape Cod anyway? People have seen whales from shore on the outer Cape (I never have), but seals are a common sight from some locations such as the Marconi Area in Wellfleet if they are of interest to you.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Yes, it's fun to watch for the black bobbing heads of the seals but that is all you see and many times they are not there.

Brabant Wallon
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Thanks! We don't mind driving a bit if necessary, so yes, Cape Cod is on my todo list. What I don't want is a boat filled up with 50 tourists going aaah and ooooh for 3 hours, pushing around to have a better view etc :-) Besides I got seasick when I am on a boat and taking pictures at the same time once so it's probably not a good idea... I thought that maybe there's a spot somewhere on the shore from where one can see them splashing around from a distance. I read that it's possible in Lubec (ME) but that's way too far from Boston.

Brabant Wallon
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Seals are fun, I'm always happy to see them but we have seens plenty already :-)

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

We have seen whales spouting of the outer beach from Fort Hill in Eastham but it would not be impressive enough or reliable enough for you to try to do. Same thing from Race Point Beach in Provincetown. If I were you I would look for an early morning whale watch on a calm day and go for it on a whale watch boat. That's what our guests are doing right now...I'll report back when they give us the "whale report" tomorrow morning.

Brabant Wallon
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Thanks Yellowbird :-)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Great over the counter sea sick meds are Marezine however we always have to ask the pharmacist to order them in which takes about two days. Next best that we have found are Bonine but the Marezine seems really to be non-drowsy so we just plan ahead to get them.

Brabant Wallon
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

Thanks for the tip Charlie :-)

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale watchin from the shore ?

The only other major sea life that has been seen from shore is the sharks but that is SO rare that you can't expect to see one...I'd agree to idea of using some meds on a calm day as best solution.