We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver wedding anniversary

macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Silver wedding anniversary

My husband as always wanted to visit New England, especially Martha's Vineyard and cape cod also Nantucket. I am looking at a fly drive but want to know where to fly in to and where is central to stay? Is everything relevantly close? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Michelke

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

What time of year are you planning to go? For how long ? Boston would be the obvious choice of airport. As you probably know, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are both islands and involve ferries to get there.

As far as somewhere central to stay, some places are a day trip from Boston, some are not.

Give us some more information and we will be happy to help you.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 22:08
macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. I am planning on 30th August 2015 our actual anniversary is the 1st September.

No I didn't know they were islands, sorry, it is just somewhere my other half as always wanted to visit.

Do I do a fly drive or just pick a location to stay and travel from there? I would love to whale watch.

Any advice or tips would be good.

Michelle

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

The easiest way to see Cape Cod is with a car. There are lots of places to stay. There really is no "best" area, just personal preference.

When it comes to Cape Cod, I personally prefer the Outer Cape and the Cape cod national shore area. The towms of Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro and Provincetown. Buteere this puts your further from the ferries to MV and Nantucket. You can bring a car on the ferry to either island, but it is not cheap and it is best to book way in advance especially on Fri,Sat or Sun. Lots of people take day trips to the islands, others prefer to stay a few nights.

Note while there are many ferry runs between the "mainland" and the islands, there is only one a day between the two islands.

You can also fly to the islands.

Happy Planning and congrats. Hubby and I celebrated our 25th 2 years ago by renewing our vows on the beach in front of the cottage we rent in N.Truro.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 16:42
macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

So you suggest staying in Cape cod and doing day trips via ferry to MV and Nantucket?

Michelle

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

Yes, depending on how long you are staying the suggestion would generally be to go to one island. All the regulars have their favorite parts of the Cape. Our regular spot is the beach village of Dennisport and Dennis is the most centrally located town IF you would like to explore the Upper Cape towns like Falmouth and Sandwich, enjoy activities mid-Cape (ie: maybe enjoy live theater at the venerable Cape Cod Playhouse) and visit Lower and Outer Cape towns. They all have something different to offer as well as many types of beaches whether you want to sit in the sun or just stroll these strands and soak in their beauty. Locating in Dennisport though gives you easy access to the ferries. The one to Nantucket is the next town east, Harwichport and the ferries to Martha's Vineyard are just 20 minutes west in Hyannis.

Take a look at a map, look at the sites that come up in a google search and look at the Top Questions on the right side of the Forum page in order to begin to get some ideas.

How long will you stay?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

Also, where are you flying in from? Providence, RI is the same distance from the Cape as is Boston however, if you are in the US, you may find lower airfare and/or rental cars at that airport. While Boston's Logan is not difficult to navigate Green is smaller and there is less traffic too. I would let price be the guide.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

There is, of course a lot more to the New England states than Massachusetts and Cape Cod and the islands. Are you interested in the mountains for instance, Vermont, Maine etc. Are you interested in the history of these places, museums?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

Where are you coming from. There's a Macclesfield in North Carolina ... but something tells me that is not it.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

Congratulations on your upcoming Silver Anniversary!!

Most of our guests fly into Logan airport in Boston. Some stay overnight or longer in Boston and then rent a car to drive to the Cape. The drive from the airport to Eastham is 2 hours. You will really need a car once on the cape but you could choose to fly into Boston and take a bus to Hyannis. It might be less expensive to rent a car once you are on the cape. Here is a link with most of your travel options. www.smartguide.org/capecod/land-links.html

If you decide to locate in or near the National Seashore you can easily get to either MV or Nantucket as long as you are will ing to drive 30 minutes to the ferry. We just had a couple of Brits stay with us here at Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast and they loved going to both islands. Eastham is only 30 minutes from Hyannis and 30 minutes from Provincetown so day trips to Chatham, Wellfleet, Provincetown, Orleans and Brewster as well as ferries to the islands all make very doable day trips.

macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silver wedding anniversary

Wow thanks for all this info. We are staying for 2 weeks and we will be flying from good old rainy England. Really not wanting museums or theatre, we want to travel round, I would rather have a base to go back to instead of trying to find somewhere in different locatations.