We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The cape or Long Island NY?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
The cape or Long Island NY?

Need advice please. Planning to return to US and we had a great break for two weeks on the cape a few yrs ago. Was considering Long Island NY. I know by posting on this forum it may not be too objective! I'm looking for laid back, Beachy, meals, walks and views. Been to both areas in the past but would really appreciate some pointers from you. Many thanks in anticipation. We would be staying in a rental.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

So what exactly is your question? You have been to both places so what do you need from us?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

Well we are planning another trip and torn between the two. Pricey holiday so decision has to be right. Spent two good weeks on the cape, said we could go back. Have only spent two days on Long Island. Is it somewhere that two weeks could be spent in, is the main question. The pros and cons of each from others would be really helpful

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

Well, yeah. People spend whole summers there. But the point is, you've been in both places so who would know better what's better for you?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

I said I'd spent two days in Long Island. Just wanted the potential locals points of view and their choice one over the other. It's like you coming to UK and trying to figure out best vacation. Forget it, getting nowhere

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

It's a personal choice. Toss a coin. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time wherever you choose. I've been to Cape Cod at least 40 times for two or three weeks at a time. Never been to Long Island.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

People complain about the traffic on Cape Cod, but it is nothing at all compared to the traffic on Long Island! I do not know where on Long Island you have been but the extreme east end (North Folk and South Fork) are the places I would go if looking for beaches and interesting towns such as the Hamptons, Water Mill, Greenport. But maybe you have been there. Have you posted on a forum for Long Island? You might get some information there. That is where the Long Island locals will see your post.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

Howland makes a great point about the traffic. I think Long Island is great - magnificent beaches, gorgeous women, but the worst traffic I've ever seen was one time trying to get to a wedding out there somewhere. I laugh when people complain about the traffic on the Cape.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

We would be driving. Only been to montauk and sag harbor for day trips.

USA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

2 weeks, definitely the cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

I've been to Long Island once and while I thought it was really pretty I couldn't see spending 2 weeks there. There's so much to explore on the cape. And each town is a little bit different than the other. I liked the novelty of taking my car on the ferry when I went to Long Island. I think the cape is more accessible.