We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

I've not used the feature often, but when I've had questions about someone's review of a restaurant or hotel, there is a link to ask the reviewer a direct question. I'm reading reviews of rental properties and, although there are TA reviews, that same link is not available. Is there a reason these reviews are treated differently?

Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Can you click on their screen name and send them a private message? That might be worth a try.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

I tried clicking on the name and nothing happened. Maybe I'll try clearing my cache out and doing it again. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I'm curious as to why the rentals seem to typically only have reviews that are a year old or even older. Weird.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Well lit they are weekly rental homes they are most likely rented in the summer. Last summer was 2013 so it makes sense that they would be a year old. If you are looking at B+Bs or inns they are most likely open for a longer season so you will probably see some reviews from the fall and early spring 2014.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Also there may be few rentals reviewed even. We have a guest book in our summer home for reviews as well as our email and even telephone numbers. Once someone sent me an email but most just write in the book. Last summer however two different guests wrote public reviews. If you want current reviews you can always book through a realtor. The best have a lot of rental inventory and they can narrow them down according to your requirements and send you a handful to look at online. Since they have feedback from whole seasons of tenants they have a good handle on each property.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Are you in the mobile or smart phone app? I do not believe there is private messaging features there. Try a laptop.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

I had to laugh (politely) at the question as to whether I was using a mobile or smart phone app. I wouldn't know how to do either. LOL

I was using my desktop computer (yep, I'm old school). ;)

Good idea about the realtor. I'm just a little fearful of being scammed as I've read some realtors are less than trustworthy.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Don't feel bad Lynda B,I do not have a lap top, mobile or smart phone either and would not know how to work one if I did!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

Try Kinlin Grover in the town you are looking for...they are a large inventory and a reputable staff, at least on the outer Cape.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

We have been renting on the Cape for close to forty years using realtors and private owners. We've never been scammed yet. We have also rented in several different countries with no problems. Have the rentals always been perfect? No. Have most problems been relatively minor? Yes.

You are highly unlikely to be scammed by a realtor, although some are better than others with dealing with issues that arise.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Unable to ask reviewers about rental properties, why?

I clicked on a random rental and only one reviewer had a name that would allow me to message them. Maybe most of the reviewers are not TA members?

A lot of the same rentals are listed on other sites. You can check and see other reviews at VRBO, homeaway, and weneedavacation. Or ask the owner if you can contact a previous renter.

You can also ask about it here. Someone may at least know the general area. Google the address also and see if any complaints pop up.