We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Topic
Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Hi everyone! I'm getting super excited for our trip to the Cape next month. However, I called around to a few places and the market price for lobster seems pretty steep right now...! Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape, and if so, does anyone have recommendations? I was in Connecticut a few years back and we ate at the cutest little place - not fancy by any means - but you could get a lobster and a bag of chips for like $15. Just wondering if there is such a thing on the Cape... Thank you!!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

There are "Lobster Shacks" all over Cape Cod. Where or not these are the same type that you visited in Connecticut I cannot tell. Just about any place sells lobster at "market price."

$15 might be low these days. I don't eat lobster so I don't know what they sell for but there are many small places that fit the general description of a lobster shack.

conn
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Youngs, Rock Harbor (Orleans).

http://nausetfish.com/youngs-fish-market

Capt Cass, right next to Youngs.

Sesuit Harbor Café in Dennis.

http://sesuitharbor-cafe.com/

My favorite is the Sesuit Harbor Café. Mounds of Lobsta on the roll.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Considering that lobster used to be used for fertilizer, and it was considered shameful to be so low that you were reduced to eating lobster, today's prices are a little shocking, aren't they?

A couple of years ago, there was a glut of fresh lobsters, and prices were ridiculously low. That may have been the year you were in CT. It didn't last though. This years prices are more the norm. Still tastes great though!

If you tell us where on the Cape you're staying, we can probably recommend some places.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Hi everyone, thanks for the info thus far! I should have mentioned, we are staying in West Yarmouth, but have a car and will drive for good food. ;)

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

If in West Yarmouth you may want to consider Baxter's which is right on Hyannis Harbor.

http://baxterscapecod.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Since I know the Dennis area best, I'll throw out Captain Frosty's and the Kream 'n Kone. Both are on Rte 28 in Dennis.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Baxters is definitely not a lobster shack and is very expensive.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Arnold's in Eastham

Mac's Wellfleet

There is a lobster shack on the Chatham Pier.

Don't mistake that just because it is a "shack" or lobster pound, that it necessarily equates with cheap. I think it just means higher profits. But all these places have fish and crustaceans right off the boat.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

That is "Mac's on the Pier" and not "Mac's Shack" which is in the old Lobster Hutt and looks like a shack but is quite upscape.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do "lobster shacks" exist on the Cape?

Well I guess it depends on what your definition of a lobster shack is. Mine is a rustic building on the water with outside dinning, that serves lobsters, regardless of the price.