We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

I just love to give a trip report when I go somewhere awesome! I love reading other people's and learning all the best things to do. I'll try not to make it too long....but I'm sure it will be.

Traveling: Mom, Dad and two kids (ages 12 and 4)

The last couple of trips we've taken (cruise and Hawaii) were without our kids but Cape Cod seemed like the perfect kid friendly spot to visit and since we have friends with a cottage in Dennis Port who said they would let us stay for a week.....it was perfect!

We left on Friday the 18th and planned on going through Boston from Canada nice and early to avoid the rush hour traffic. We got to Boston.........right at rush hour.....it was sloooooow. However, we have never been to Boston before and being HUGE Bruins fans we loved seeing the TD Garden along the route. I would say it took us 2 hours from the time we got on the I93 until we got to the Cape from Route 3. We stopped at the visitors center around Plymouth (the one with the McDonald's) and it was perfect! They have books on each town on the Cape which was wonderful! I got a HUGE stack of brochures and books. We sailed right over the Sagamore Bridge. Route 6 traffic was moving but quite congested. Friday night was spent unpacking, making beds and getting everything sorted out...oh and enjoying the amazing outdoor shower!!

Saturday, July 19. Woke up and had a flat tire :( Dropped the tire off at a garage and picked it up around noon, no problem! While hubby did that, I took the kids to the beach we could walk to (Raycroft?) The beach was just fine for us (we are not picky people at all). Besides, who is going to complain about being on a beach you can walk to? Not me! We had lunch at Chapin's Fish and Chips. We loved it. Huge order of calamari for $10 and one of the best lobster rolls I've ever eaten (and we live very close to Maine and have had some great lobster rolls!). We took a drive on Route 28 to Harwich and then turned around and got some groceries in Dennis Port for the cottage. Took the kids to the close beach in the afternoon, the water was so warm!! We were on the Nantucket Sound and people are right when they say it's warmer. We took a drive to Hyannis and ended up on Main Street. What an awesome and happening spot! Live music, carnival rides and awesome shops, we loved it! We got back to the cottage pretty late so hubby and I ordered a pizza from Joey's Pizzeria for a late supper, it was yummy!

Sunday, July 20. We had drove by Pirate's Cove mini golf the night before as we were going through Yarmouth. We decided to go first thing in the morning when they opened to try and avoid crowds and it worked. There were still lots of people there, but it was fine. Definitely a must visit if you are bringing kids to the Cape, just remember, evenings are busy! Same with ice cream shops! In the afternoon we drove to Chatham and Orleans. We were just blindly driving with no plan in mind. It was kind of raining out and I just love checking out new places. Route 28 is a slow but awesome way to see the Cape instead of taking the highway.

Monday, July 21. It was still a little overcast in the morning but our kids were dying to go to the trampoline park they saw when we went through Harwich. I didn't think it looked like much but we went. They had a blast. Then we went go karting at Bud's Go Karts and to Cape Cod Bumper Boats and Batting Cages. I love bumper boats but these ones have huge water guns on the front and you WILL get soaked! We drove to Chatham for a quick lunch at Carmine's Pizza. It was good and you can watch the guys making pizzas right in front of you. It had stopped raining so we decided to chance Nauset Beach. There was tons of parking and we spent the rest of the day until around 6pm at Nauset Beach. The waves were HUGE and the kids loved it. I was a little nervous when I saw the group of seals close by, but alas....no shark attacks! Cold water though! What a different between that and the water of the Nantucket Sound!

Tuesday, July 22. Woke up to a beautiful morning and immediately got ready to go to Martha's Vineyard for the day. We took the Steamship Authority from Wood's Hole because it was cheaper and a shorter trip. We JUST missed the 10:45 boat so we had to wait until 12pm. Once we got to the Vineyard it was after lunch so we immediate decided to catch a bus to Edgartown for lunch. We noticed the bus had just left for Edgartown and because it was very hot by this time and we couldn't imagine waiting another 15 or 20 minutes for another bus, we decided to grab a taxi. It cost $24 and a bus going to Edgartown pulled in immediately after we got in. Lesson learned...just wait for a bus $1/pp. We ate on the roof top deck at Seafood Shanty. Atmosphere is everything in my book so I loved it. I thought their drinks were a little strong....I couldn't finish my margarita, but otherwise, very enjoyable. We walked through the adorable town of Edgartown looking at all the shops before taking a bus back to Oak Bluffs. We then checked out the Flying Horses Carousal and we walked to the gingerbread houses. By this time we were feeling pretty tired from the heat and our full bellies. I had planned on going to Vineyard Haven, but we were ready to head back to the Cape and it was getting late. We took the 6:15 ferry from Oak Bluffs. I loved Martha'a Vineyard and hope I get to go back someday. I would even stay there for a week I think! Once landed back at our car I got a second wind and we headed to the gorgeous Route 6A. Drove through Sandwich and then went to the Sandwich Boardwalk. It was late enough there was no charge for parking. Kids were jumping off the bridge as the sun was setting. I loved it! The fact that there was no railing made me slightly nervous but just kept a good eye on the 4 year old. We checked out the beach and watched the pretty sky and then headed back out. We took the 6A all the way back to Dennis but it was getting pretty dark so I missed a lot, but you could tell it was so cute!!

Wednesday, July 23. We spent the morning on "our" beach and then cleaned up and decided to head toward Provincetown making stops along the way. We checked out Scargo Tower in Dennis, Brewster General Store (so cute and great little gifts!), Crosby Mansion, Salt Pond Visitors Center, Nauset Lighthouse, Three Sisters Lighthouse and some beaches along the way (just to look). As we got closer to Provincetown, the dunes were pouring out onto the road (as they should when you're in Cape Cod). We made it to Provincetown around suppertime. There was next to no parking but we finally paid $10 to park right on Commercial Street. It was like stepping into another world. Drag queens, people on bikes, gay and lesbian couples, families....we loved it!!! We came unprepared with a idea of where we would have supper. Big mistake because there are so many restaurants on Commercial Street. Kids were starting to complain, so we settled on Blondie's Burgers because it looked easy. It was pricy and just ok. She kind of messed up our order but we just went with it. We sat on picnic tables outside. After we checked out some shops and bought our Cape Cod clothes at Cuffy's. We were told by our friends to go to Cuffy's. Great prices and made well and they were right! We bought four t-shirts and a hoodie for $60. The ocean and harbor is just on the other side of Commercial Street so we checked it out too. Then we were off to Race Point Beach at dusk. I love the sand fencing so we took lots of pictures and then just walked on the beach and gazed at people's fires they were having.

Thursday, July 24. Kids slept in. I decided we needed to go to Sundae School Ice Cream. I couldn't believe it was Thursday and we hadn't been there yet. Delicious! Anywhere worth going to on the Cape makes homemade ice cream so don't go anywhere that doesn't. For supper we drove up to the Sesuit Harbor Cafe which had been recommended to and us. My son and been wanting to have a whole lobster the whole trip so he got the 1 1/4 lb. lobster with corn on the cob and potato salad for $21 which I thought was a great price. He was in heaven. My husband and I had the clam chowder and shared the fisherman's platter....very good. After we walked along the sandy area and over to the marina and looked at the boats. On a bit of a whim we decided to head to Mashpee to check out the Mashpee Commons. We got so lost multiple times! I think we kept getting screwed up at the rotaries. When we finally made it, everything was closing and I was pretty sad. It looks like a very cute spot and I would have loved to check it out more. We decided to walk around anyways and stumbled across an outdoor movie of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original version). We planned on stopping for a few minutes and ended up watching the entire movie. Hubby walked over to the indoor theater and bought some popcorn for the kids and they were very happy.

Friday, July 25. Our last full day on the Cape and it was beautiful. We decided to stay close to the cottage for the day so we spent it on "our" beach. We had out "last supper" at Joey's Pizzeria and then our last trip to Sundae School. Then it was back to the cottage to clean and pack :(

Saturday, July 26. Our 11th wedding anniversary. We were up early and left Dennis Port by 7:30am to beat the traffic and we did! Flew over the bridge and right through Boston. In only about 2.5 hours we were in Freeport, Maine for lunch.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful island with us. I hope I can come back again some day. We will have memories from Cape Cod forever.

Thanks for reading this looooooong report. If anyone has any questions, I will try my very best to answer them. Pick up a copy of Explorer's Guide to Cape Cod; Martha's Vineyard; and Nantucket. I found it very handy to have and some great suggestions in it.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Wow!! You covered it all and then some, sounds like an awesome trip. Our kids always loved the bumper boats, no trip to the Cape was complete without a visit. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this, it is so helpful to others. (I was recently at Nauset Beach too & was blown away by the number of seals, I think they must have heard Chatham is more popular with the sharks!)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Really enjoyed your report. Oh, to be young again and have the energy to keep going all day and into the evening !!

Our children loved the bumper cars too. We stayed in Harwich Port the first time that we went to the Cape, I think it was 1971. They also liked going to the Wellfleet Drive-In for the movies.

Interesting to hear about the seal population at Nauset. We saw a few there last year but it sounds as though the numbers have increased. Will check it out in September.

Look forward to another report the next time you go, Stacey. I hope that there will be a 'next time'.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
96 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading your journaled list of events. Sounds like you really hit on major spots of interest. When you wear your Cuffy's clothes and find sand in hidden spots long after you've been home, you'll quietly giggle to yourself and smile as you recall all the fun of your trip to Cape Cod. Will you be back? I betcha you will be and I think your kids will soon be "asking when can we go back Mom?" I'd say you've started a family tradition that will go on for many years to come.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Great report. You really went all over the cape. Glad you had a good time.

conn
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Nice to see a report of a cape visit. Thanks. Going in a few weeks, you got me pumped up.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Thanks for the comments. I sure hope we'll be back again!

We did hit a lot of things but that's what I get for being a master organizer. I never plan ahead each day but I did make a list of things I wanted to do in each town and there weren't many things we missed!

Some things I wished we had time for would be seeing a Cape Cod baseball game, exploring Falmouth and Woods Hole more, seeing a movie at the drive-in in Wellfleet and visiting more beaches but you can only do so much in a week!

7. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 02:05
Selden
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Wow so awesome! What was your favorite part of the island? Currently deciding where to go for a day trip :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

What a great trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod Trip Report w. kids (July 18 - 26, 2014) LONG!

Oh boy...favorite part of the island. I don't know how I'd pick one. I look at Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis, and Harwich pretty close together and there are lots of things to do in those places.

I think it would be hard to just do a day trip to the Cape. One place you could easily spend all day would be Provincetown. You could browse Commercial Street for hours, eat ocean side and check out Race Point Beach and then check out a Cape Cod Baseball game in the evening.