We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
232 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Hello,

We are getting off a cruise on 19 October and need to travel from Boston to NYC however we thought it might be nice to stop in at Cape Cod along the way. Therefore my plan is:

19 Oct - Ship docks at 6am at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal

Hertz pickup @ Logan Airport 9am...drive to Provincetown then work our way via attractions/beaches towards an overnight stay in Swansea, MA or Warwick, RI (primarily picking these locations as I can get a motel for $70 per night and positioned closer to NYC for the next morning)

20 Oct - Drive to NYC first thing in the morning - drop off car around midday

What should we see in this short space of time? Is it worth making this trip in October and cutting down on our NYC time?

We love NYC this will be our 4th trip but thought it might be nice to tack this on!

Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Aren't you planning on seeing Boston at all? It's a great city and that would certainly save you a lot of extra driving going to Cape Cod. In fact, you could take the train from Boston to NYC and not drive at all. But no $70 a night hotel!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

It works, but I Don't think you will see all that much.

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
232 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Thanks for the reply, we have been to Boston twice before so not necessary for us to spend anymore time there. Really just weighing up whether its worth spending a night & day in Cape Cod vs NYC (which we have been to several times but love the place)

Money is not a huge factor basically we can stay do:

Cape Cod stop - $70 Motel + $200 Car Hire + Petrol

Drive Boston to NYC Direct - $260 Hotel + $130 Car Hire + Petrol

Train to Boston - $100 (end up wasting majority of the day if we take the 11.45am train as it gets in at 3.50pm)

Bus to Boston - $65 (10.30am - 2.45pm)

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

I'd love to have you come visit Cape Cod, but what about Newport, Rhode Island instead? I think Newport would be a better stop for a quick visit. Walk the Cliffwalk; take a tour through one of the mansions; or just visit the downtown area. Great restaurants and shops, plenty to keep you occupied for a day. If you're into classic yachts, the Herreshoff Marine Museum in Bristol is pretty good, too.

Newport isn't exactly on the way from Boston to NY, but it's a little less of a detour than Cape Cod. For hotel/lodging check Newport or the surrounding towns of Middletown or Portsmouth. In October driving from Boston to Newport I would expect it would take two hours at the most, and then leaving Newport towards NY, take 138 to I-95 (easy travelling).

Come to Cape Cod next time you're in the area; we'll be waiting for you!

Cheers,

Harry

P.S. I wouldn't consider taking a bus to/from Newport. With connections and time spent waiting for the connections it's not at all worth it.

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
232 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Thanks for the post but we have also already been to Newport, RI on another trip & did the Cliff Walk we loved it!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Here are my detailed thoughts. I have been to Ptown in spring, summer and November, but not Oct.

You pick up your car at 9. You get on the road by 9:20. It is a Sunday in October, there shouldn't be too much traffic, but there will be a lot of people out and about ... It is still foliage season an so on. I still Don't see how you can get to Ptown much before 11:45 or noon.

You are hungry ... lunch? So you eat and now it is 1:15 and you are ready to start looking around.

You walk Commercial Street, do a bit of shopping, peek into a few galleries. Do you want to see the Provincetown Art Museum? It is small, but you need at least an hour. What about climbing the Pilgrim Monument. The views at spectacular ... and they have a great museum, too. There's another 60-90 minutes. Obviously you won't do all those things .... but before you know it, it is 3 or 3:30

So you hop in the car and head out to the Racepoint visitor's center (I think it is open on Oct) ... pick up some National Seashore info, swing by Race Point beach, because it really is spectacular. You spend 15-20 minutes there because it is getting late, and no matter how inviting it is, you just do not have the time to go down onto the beach.

Now it is 4:30, and you are just leaving Ptown .... now what? Do you like light houses? Stop at highland light. If it is not too late, you may be able to go inside .... but I don't know what the hours are off season. Maybe a short nature walk at Pilgrim Heights? A stop at Nauset Beach which consistently shows up on "best beach" lists? Chatham fish pier to see the seals? Oops ... It is October, sunset is just before 6. You have run out of daylight!

Antiques shopping on route 6a would have been fun, but everything is closed. Maybe you would have liked to see the grist mill in Sandwich. A Walk along the Canal might be doable for a while after dark, but now you are running into dinner time, and you still want to get off cape and to your hotel in Rhode Island.

There just are not enough hours in the day. Maybe if you stayed overnight on Cape Cod it would make more sense ... You could see a bit more in the morning before heading off cape.

Bottom line, your vacation/your decision ... but I think you are trying to cram too much in.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 12:11
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

Instead of driving all the way out to Ptown why not visit Falmouth on the Upper Cape for the day? Falmouth has the most shore line of any town on the Cape and you can drive it past scenic spots like Nobska Lighthouse. The 'downtown' and village green are charming and you can even rent bikes at the Corner Cycle and ride the easy Shining Sea bike path into tiny Woods Hole and have lunch on the water. Your first stop could be at the Falmouth Visitor's center which is located on an alleyway right off Main St. or call ahead instead and see if there is anything special going on that weekend or if you can do a tour (guided or not) of the town's historic past including visiting the pre-revolutionary homes on the green. Alternately you can go to the Cape's oldest town, Sandwich, and do some of the many things there which include museums and American history but be sure to walk out over the marsh on their famous boardwalk that ends at the town beach and see if you can arrive at Pairpoint when they have their glassblowing demo. It's a great idea to get a taste of the Cape and you will get a totally different impression if you go to Falmouth or Sandwich versus Provincetown. Enjoy your cruise and your day on the Cape, whatever you decide.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

If you want to visit Ptown, why not take the ferry from Boston to Ptown, then rent your car in Ptown and drive from there to other destinations?

http://www.baystatecruisecompany.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

I think this would be a waste of time and I wouldn't sleep over in Warwick, RI or Swansea. I was thinking Newport would be a nice stop but since you've already seen it, how about Plymouth? Still out of the way but not as far as the cape.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopping in at Cape Cod for 1 Day en-route from Boston to NY

The boat is a good idea, just keep in mind Oct 19 is the very last day of the season that Baystate runs their ferry and the last boat to leave Ptown is 3 o'clock. (At this time of year it is 7:30).

Boston Harbor's Ptown ferry stops running on Oct 13