We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

Romeo, Michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

Hello all!

First some basic, info about my group and this trip:

-Traveling in the Cape from August 29-31st

-There are 5 Adults (youngest 24) and we will have a car

-Our hotel/rental budget is around 200-300 dollars, would like two rooms for the two couples and a extra bed/pull out couch for a 24 year old. Mild interest in location on water for fishing/swimming?

-We are also interested in nature and history, authentic food, and non touristy shopping

My family and I are going to be traveling to Boston and we would like to spend three days in Cape Cod (or surrounding area's, open to suggestions if there is a must see historical/nature attraction near by, we're thinking martha's vineyard and maybe plymouth?). The whole trip is a bit overwhelming but I came across this road trip itinerary planned by National Geographic and it seems like a great basic plan for what to see (…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…).

My question is, does this road trip itinerary cover most of the cape? Or is there something big it is missing out on? I would really appreciate some Cape Cod veterans having a look at it and giving it their okay, or providing any additional suggestions.

Secondly, if you do recommend this itinerary, is there a good location to stay in that we would be able to drive to the locations from (possibly more than one hotel)? I've heard horror stories about the traffic, how insanely busy is labor day weekend? Is staying in a central location a viable option? We'd really like to see as much of the Cape as possible.

Finally, while I'm here, I've seen a lot about Martha's Vineyard and other islands that we might want to visit. Is the Vineyard a must? Is there another unique island/location a ferry ride away that we might want to see instead. Also, this is a random request from the 24 year old, is there a location where you can kayak whale watch? We've done normal whale watching and it was a pretty dull experience, though that was up in Bar Harbor, is it worth another go?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Let me know if there is any other information I can provide and many thanks in advance.

Romeo, Michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

I would like to add that the research I have done so far about central hotel locations seems to point towards staying in two locations because of traffic. One in the lower cape and another in the upper cape. As this older forum discussion mentions, (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k2354…) I'm considering staying in Falmouth and Eastham as those two seem to be the most central of each area. Please let me know what everyone thinks about this!

Thanks again

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

That is Labor Day weekend, Snuffles, and a 3-night minimum stay is required at many of the better places that still have availability at this point. Any chance you can extend the visit to 3 nights -- that would also give you more of an opportunity to do what you have outlined. [My own opinion is that your tentative itinerary is overly ambitious; even if you were here for 3 nights, squeezing in a trip -- that will essentially occupy a whole day -- to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket would still require prioritizing.]

I imagine the $200-300 is for both rooms per night but would you kindly clarify that for us, and if you have wriggle room on that as well; Labor Day weekend is still "in season".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

fyi, if you must stick to being on the Cape for only 2 nights, the Blue Dolphin Inn in Eastham has just a 2-night minimum stay on its regular rooms for that weekend: $129/night for a room with 2 double beds, $159/night for a room with 1 king bed; at 300 sq. ft. theses are rooms that can comfortably accommodate a rollaway (extra $10/night).

Their family suite #2 is also available for $279/night; although the web site indicates there is a 3-night minimum stay requirement for the suite, call them if it interests you to see if they will waive the 3-night requirement -- and to clarify whether each of the 2 connected rooms has its own bathroom.

bluedolphincapecod.com/cape-cod-accommodatio…

Actually, I'd call them in any event to see if they will give you a bit of a discount if you book 2 separate rooms, e.g., 2 king-bedded rooms, ask if they would be willing to provide the rollaway at no charge.

I like the Blue Dolphin because of its location; the wooded setting, plus the rooms are set back from the road; nice outdoor pool area; and with the new management and renovated rooms, it's getting much more positive reviews here on TA this season:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41555-d272195-…

Kayak rental-instruction-tour info here. Goose Hummock is about 6 miles from the Blue Dolphin; Provincetown Aquasports is roughly 20 miles from the Blue Dolphin

http://www.goose.com/paddle-sports.html

http://www.ptownaquasports.com/

No whale watching by kayak (if that's your question), but I predict a Dolphin Fleet whale watch cruise out of Provincetown will be more rewarding than your previous experience elsewhere:

http://whalewatch.com/index.php

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41778-d62…

You might also consider doing a dune tour:

http://www.artsdunetours.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41778-d27…

And/or take advantage of one of the programs-activities offered by the National Park Service; any of these would be easy enough to get to from the Blue Dolphin:

www.nps.gov/caco/upload/WebJulyAugust.pdf

Edited: 03 August 2014, 13:28
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

That itinerary wouldn't interest me, but it's about what interests you. It also suggests 3 to 4 days to do that. There are two islands off the coast of the cape, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. If you're going to do one, I'd suggest spending the majority of the day. I think the previous poster is also right that you're going to have to pick one spot and stick with it. In this case I'd choose something central like yarmouth or Dennis so that you have easier access to many places. Hurry up and decide though.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

There's way too much to see and do on the Cape to do even a fraction of your list in an enjoyable manner. Why not stay in Falmouth and drive their coastline with its gorgeous ocean views (this town has the most on the Cape) and visit the lighthouse, bike the Shining Sea bike path into Woods Hole, take the free Falmouth walking tour. On another day hop over the Martha's Vineyard on the Island Queen and enjoy the day there. Another day visit everything that there is to do in nearby Sandwich, the oldest town on the Cape. You'll still need to keep moving to do these. OR you can locate in Eastham and limit yourself to visting Wellfleet, Provincetown, and Chatham. You only have time for a quick sample but it will be quite enjoyable if you give yourself permission to enjoy just part of it.

The reference book that is the best is An Explorer's Guide: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket by Kim Grant. If you decide to purchase the book you can get around using the simple maps that are included.

6. Re: Is this a good plan? suggestions on where to stay needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16