We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Traffic

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day Traffic

Another Labor Day traffic question! Will be on the Cape Aug 27 - Sep 3. I will be arriving into Boston on Wed Aug 27, renting a car and driving to Provincetown. I will be staying there 2-3 nights. I assume traffic won't be too bad on that Wednesday driving to the Cape? My flight gets in at 12pm. So, hopefully to PTown by 230-300pm?

Driving to Hyannis on Aug 29 to get ferry to Nantucket, staying on Nantucket 2-3 nights. What will traffic be like on that Friday going south on Route 6? What time of day should I leave?

Finally, if I am leaving Nantucket on Labor Day, Sept 1, I am looking to stay somewhere in between Hyannis and Boston. Nothing is set yet, but lets say I were to stay in Plymouth for 2 nights. What would traffic be like on Sept 1? What time of day should I leave Hyannis? Thanks!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Traffic

Do you need to catch a flight? If not, assume there will be many other like minded folks driving on and off the Cape during the last long summer season weekend of 2014 and leave yourself some extra time, You have hotel reservations largely set? Sounds like a great plan and a fun weekend. Give yourself extra time driving,

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Traffic

I think Provincetown by 2:30-3 is hugely optimistic. I wouldn't make any early dinner reservations that evening.

No one can answer your driving questions with any specificity. There can be pockets of time when the roads seem to be clear. But not many. The Cape traffic can be insanely busy on Labor Day weekend, especially if the weather forecast is good and lots of people make impromptu plans because of it.

Robfg51 gave good general information. Allow plenty of extra time if you have any boats or planes to catch.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Traffic

My guess is that traffic leaving the Cape on Labor Day will be nothing short of nightmarish. Given that you're planning to travel only a relatively short distance, I'd suggest waiting until 9 or 10 that evening to leave--or just spend the night in Hyannis.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day Traffic

Flight Sept 3 isn't until 230pm, so where ever we stay prior we will have plenty of time to get to airport.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day Traffic

Upon departure from Logan plan for 2-3 hours to get to Ptown. You should not have any extraordinary traffic getting to Hyannis the day you are going. Ask a few folks in Ptown how much time to allow. The only thing that I would change in your plan is that I would not spend two days in Plymouth unless you have a particular reason to do so. Instead you can stay in Hyannis and enjoy the restaurants and music if that appeals to you or stay in Falmouth for the New England charm and history exploring Falmouth and maybe popping over to Sandwich on day 2. From Sandwich you should plan for 90 minutes to get to Logan as long as you are not arriving in Boston during rush hour. Also, the Cape has not been super crowded over Labor Day since most of the families have left and the kids are back in school. That could be different this year in MA since Labor Day is Sept. 1 however most schools do go back sometime in Aug. In any case, if you are catching a flight, be sure to pad your return schedule. Your plans are subject to change if you don't yet have accommodations reserved though.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day Traffic

I was writing when you were. Yes, the time/day that you are going to Logan should not be a problem. If I understand your schedule then your sole required commute on Sept 1 is the ferry to Hyannis. So why not just stay in Hyannis then?

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor Day Traffic

So, from what I gather so far, I should plan on 3 hours from Boston Logan to PTown on Aug. 27? That is fine with me as we have no set agenda that day. Then going from Ptown to Hyannis to catch ferry to Nantucket on Aug 29 traffic should be ok considering it is a Friday and I am going towards off Cape and not on it. Is that correct? I have two ferry options I am considering, a 310pm on Hyline and 5pm on Steamship. Any suggestions on which one? Nothing set agenda wise on Nantucket, so either would work.

CCCharlie: I have no problem staying in Hyannis, as that would save us sitting in traffic, but I was just wondering what other towns may be a good option? Maybe Falmouth? Would that be less traffic on Sept 1 as I would be on Rte 28?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Labor Day Traffic

Do not try to get off-cape to go to Plymouth on Monday the 1st unless you really enjoy sitting in traffic.

Stay in Hyannis or make your way to Dennis or Falmouth or even in the opposite direction to Harwichport.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labor Day Traffic

The beaches are lovely in Dennis, both on Nantucket Sound and especially on the Bay side. Falmouth has a charming Main St. and Village Green, lots of history and the most shoreline of any town which you can drive past Nobska Lighthouse. I only suggested Hyannis for the nightlife, not for the beaches or charm but you can have a good time there especially if you locate around Main St or the harbor area. I wonder if you can still get a room at AnchorIn on the harbor. Perhaps where you can get accommodations will be the decision maker for you. Have fun.

Chatham...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Labor Day Traffic

Is it possible to beat traffic on labor day at 7am? I've lived on cape Cod my entire 53 years and my move away lined up poorly with the weekend! I have never gone anywhere near the bridges on Labor day!!!