We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need lodging advice

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
752 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need lodging advice

We are a family of six (mom, dad, and four daughters ages 16, 14, 11 and 3) who will be arriving in New York in early November. Since we would like to experience some fall-weather (won't have that in California until February!) we would like to stay near the ocean and enjoy the views, rain, cold weather, etc. Is there a place to stay that is open that time of year? Do people do that...rent cozy homes for a few days to enjoy the fire, and ambience? Where would be the best place to do this, without being too remote?

Thanks for any help!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need lodging advice

We have been going to Cape Cod from Canada for about 35 years

so I would encourage you to give it a try. Most house rentals would be for a minimum of a week I think but you could certainly give it a try. We have always stayed on the elbow of the Cape in Orleans or Eastham. We have rented through wilkinsonre.com for many years

and cyberrentals.com. We love the National Seashore area with its miles of beaches which stretch along the Atlantic from Orleans up to Provincetown. Much prefer the Cape to Maine.

I'm sure that the Whistler will have a marvellous time!!! Enjoyed your posts on the U.K/ London forum. If you need any specific info let me know.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need lodging advice

Ahh..you have heard of the Whistler! She does get around! Now she will have to whistle for ferries in New England.

Thanks for the advice....do people still rent their houses in November, or is the weather too horrid? We have traveled in this area this time of year several times (and I used to live in northern New Jersey years ago) but have never rented homes here.

chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need lodging advice

if your budget allows, i highly recommend the 4 bedroom barcliif home represented by a rental company in chatham called ricotta and associates. they are asking 3750.00 a week in november. it is a brand new to die for cape home located across from the ocean and near the chatham bars inn. the upstairs rooms are perfect for the older girls and there are 2 bedrooms downstairs. if i remember correctly there are 3 fireplaces and a large family kitchen w/ tv. our family had a memorable stay there w/ so much to do within walking distance. many of the restaurants in chatham remain open year round and the fish pier is also across the street. hard to stay anywhere else after being there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need lodging advice

Not every Cape rental house is winterized/has heat, so there won't be as much "inventory", but the advantage to coming in the "off" season is that many owners are flexible/ & willng to waive the 1-week minimum stay typically required of summer renters.

I know the house eyespye rented, and it is lovely. But you certainly don't need to spend $525/night for a home which will suit your needs and please you. Unfortunately, the owners of the house I've been renting in Chatham for the past 20 years will be there themselves in early November,, but in addition to vrbo.com and cyberrentals.com which Senior mentioned, there is a website devoted to Chatham vacation rentals that is easy to navigate/search:

http://www.chathamvacationrentals.com

I've never had a bad experience renting vacation apartments & houses directly from owners via the internet, but if you think you would prefer to use an agent, two realtors in town which enjoy a good local reputation are Sylvan Realty and E. Melson Webster::

http://www.sylvanrentals.com

http://www.webstersrealestate.com

And here's the web site for the Chatham Chamber of Commerce; its Lodging section includes a roster of home rentals in addition to motels, B&B's, etc. Some of Metter's Cottages (my neighbors who have a listing there) are right on the beach and would be large enough to accomodate your family -- I love the neighhorhood (Cockle Cove Beach/Taylor's Pond), but it is outside of town:

http://www.chathaminfo.com

The best map of Chatham I've seen on the web so far is this one:

http://www.mychatham.com/chathammap.html

HAVE FUN

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need lodging advice

$3750 for ONE WEEK? Oh My, that's 3+ months of mortgage payments for us. Sheesh!

Surely you can find something a tad more reasonable ;-)

Naomi

chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need lodging advice

in reference to the price of the 3500 plus sq.ft house w/ 4 bedrooms , 3 tv's, 3 fireplaces, designer and antique furnishings, hardwood floors throughout as well as beadboard trim, 4 bathrooms, gourmet kitchen w/ all -clad pots and pans, high end appliances, stereo sound system w/ bose speakers, central air, a tower room w/ views of the ocean, a pond out your backdoor w/ a large yard and two deck/patios are just a few of the amenities i can remember. when you compare them to its nearby neighbor, the chatham bars inn you are getting a steal!!!...the cheapest rooms in cbi in november are $250 plus tx. multiply that by 4(#of bedrooms you get in rental house) and that is 1000.00 a night.

i realize that is not in everyone's budget and it wasn't in ours when we first scouted houses in december for the following summer. but, we had six months to trim our spending habits to save for that week and we got a lifetime of memories from staying there.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need lodging advice

We can make our own (wonderful) memories spending a fraction of that ;-)

We can rent a decent (clean!) 7-8 room house with A/C in a very nice neighborhood (minutes from the beach) for <$1500/wk.

To us, it's not the 'house' that makes the trip memorable , it's the time spent together as a family. Spending a day at the beach, a round of miniature golf @ Pirate's Cove, a cone @ Sundae School, etc....

But, to each his/her own.

Naomi

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need lodging advice

$3750 a week? I'm speechless.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need lodging advice

Pastiche, you & me both.

Hey, whatever floats your boat I guess....... ;-)

Naomi

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need lodging advice

It's a good illustration of how much the Cape has changed since I grew up there. Our home in West Harwich, where my mom lives, has been in the family since my great-great-grandfather built it in 1842.

When I was little, in the early '60s, it was our weekend and summer retreat. Often we had as many as 16 friends and relatives staying there, with some people sleeping on the floor or even out in the yard. We had no central heat -- only the old black oil stove in the kitchen. We had one bathroom. We had no air conditioning, no TV. (We listened to the broadcast of the moon landing on the radio.) We walked to the post office every day to pick up our mail, because there was no home delivery. We washed the dishes by hand and hung our laundry outside to dry in the sunshine.

Childhood friends who stayed there with us in those days often tell me that the time they spent at our really old, bare-bones house are among their fondest memories. In some ways, I think the work we had to do together, and the things we did without, brought us closer together and helped create a lot of those memories.

(I feel like the old-timer who tells his grandkids that he had to walk 12 miles to school through a blizzard...)

But as more multi-million-dollar homes spread across the Cape landscape, I just have to ask about the owners and renters: What do they do for a living?