We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

Planning a trip down East Coast in September. Should we go to Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket? Also where would be a good central place to stay in Cape Cod? The only place on the East Coast we have been, was Ocean City, and really enjoyed the shops and walking the beach.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

You didn't say how long you will be on the East coast or how much time you want to spend in one place but I'll jump in and give you my opinion anyway! If you are going to Cape Cod and want to walk pristine beaches without the feeling of commercial development and crowds, go to the National Seashore which starts in Eastham and runs along the entire Atlantic coast to Provincetown. You can walk for miles on white sandy beaches with nothing but water in front of you and dunes behind...quite an unbelievable experience! I like to stay in Eastham because it tis only 3 miles wide from Ocean to Bay, is centrally located for day trips to Chatham and Provncetown and villages in between, convenient to the fast ferry in Harwich that goes to Nantucket and we regularly stay at the Fort HIll Bed and Breakfast which is our #1 favorite place to stay. During September the towns have celebratory weekends, windmill weekend in Eastham, the Cranberry Festival in Harwich, Truro Treasures in Truro and although the festivals draw some crowds, you won't find the crowds that August brings. The outer cape has managed to keep a true sense of place because the Federal Gov. has bought up the land on the ocean side and prevented commercial development. If you spend some time exploring Cape Cod, I would recommend a day trip to Nantucket...just for the ferry experience and because the downtown village of Nantucket is picture postcard perfect.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

Was that Ocean City NJ or MD? They are pretty different from each other.

Cape Cod is unique and can't be compared to either OC really. It varies so much itself from the quaint New England atmosphere of Falmouth to the rambunctious gay scene in the artist's town of Provincetown. There are visitors who swear by this village or that one. Which ones will suit you is strictly subjective. I suggest that you choose for yourself and try to mix some relaxing with some day trips. Pick up the guidebook recommended on the recent IRISH inquiry for a wealth of information on just about everything Cape Cod.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

Yellowbird, thank you so much for your information. Our itinerary isn't set yet, so we can spend as much time there as we need to see everything. Should we try to go to Martha's Vinyard as well as Nantucket, of course, on separate days? The info on where to stay and what to do on Cape Cod is great. Thanks again.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

CapeCodCharlie, thank you. We visited OC, NJ. I've ordered a Cape Cod Visitor's packet and I'll check the IRISH post you mentioned as well. Thanks again.

5. Re: Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket , Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 00:20