We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help purchasing rail tickets

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
help purchasing rail tickets

I am a US citizen wishing to purchase rail tickets in advance for our trip in Britain. We will be going in April. I have noticed som rail tickets are REAL cheap when you purchase them in advance. If I understand correctly, they cannot be mailed to me in the US. How do I go about this. Can each individual rail station "hold on" to my ticket? Please help.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

Many UK stations have a machine which holds onto your ticket (in the US, Amtrak do this at the desk !). You go to the machine, enter a code from your purchase confirmation and the credit card that you used to buy online, then out comes your ticket and seat reservation.

I have done this from the UK but not from the US. Also I'm not sure which stations have the machines. Derby does have one, and it's a medium size main line station.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,479 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

See www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/ and look for "fastticket"

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

you can pre-purchase all your ticketing requirements from Britrail. You pay in USD & receive tickets before you travel to the UK.

http://www.britrail.com/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,479 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

But do they offer the really cheap tickets?

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

dont know, do you? you dont know the A-B route and what date so how can you know if they will be 'cheap' or not, or cheaper compared to what?

as i read it, the question wasnt about cheap tickets, it was about how you get tickets sent to the US. Britrail does, so this answers the question.QED.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

The search that Alanrow identifies brings up 124 hits, ie about 124 stations with the service. That should be enough for most itineraries.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,503 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

BritRail do not sell the cheap tickets; they don't sell much other than the standard walk-up fares; they charge for seat reservations which are free in the UK, and they have a fairly generous markup on prices.

The sooner they're disbanded and train companies accept direct online reservations from abroad, the better.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

<<<The sooner they're disbanded and train companies accept direct online reservations from abroad, the better>>>

who do you think Britrail are? its actually the trading arm of the Assoc of Train Operating Companies (ATOC), http://www.atoc.org/about.asp which effectivley is all the major train operating companies in the UK!!, the Britrail franchise is obviously a good source of income for them.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,479 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

<<< The sooner they're disbanded and train companies accept direct online reservations from abroad, the better. >>>

The train companies do accept direct online reservations from abroad.

10. Re: help purchasing rail tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 01:20