We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Middlesbrough to Dumfries

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Middlesbrough to Dumfries

Help! We need to travel from Middlesbrough to Dumfries on 13th May, preferably by bus/coach. "As the crow flies" it should be a 2 hour trip, but when I enter it on the National Express site, they have it going through Manchester which is waaaaay out of the way and turns it in to a 10 hour journey. Any ideas? We were not planning to rent a car.

Djani

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Middlesbrough to Dumfries

You are certainly not going to find any direct public transportation between these two towns; there would be as much demand for that as direct flights in Canada between Kelowna and Sarnia, say.

It is possible that there are local buses that you could take, Middlesbrough to Newcastle, then Newcastle to Carlisle, then Carlisle to Dumfries. These would be likely operated by separate with no schedule coordination or through ticketing. I have used the Newcastle-Carlisle bus, so I know it exists.

Train is your best option. Trains will take you about 4 hours, and will require 2 or 3 changes enroute. See the journey planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk

england
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Middlesbrough to Dumfries

Yes I'm afraid so. It won't be easy. Middlesborough to newcastle, then carlisle, then dumfries, will be the best way. Some trips can be made easily by coach, like newcastle to carlisle (2 and a quarter hours, see - stagecoachbus.com/newcastle/timetables.php… I'm afraid I don't know about the east of the country, but it seems easy enough to use bus from carlisle to dumfries, maybe an hour, , see stagecoachbus.com/northwest/timetables.php…

for details. Give Stagecoach a call and see what they say.