We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake district or scotland

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
lake district or scotland

I am having problems choosing anything because I don't have as myuch time to plan as I wished. I have a week in the cotswolds with family---a week prior to that or a week and half we were going to spend 4 days in scotland and 3 in lake distrtict. I wonder if we are trying to do too much. We love haunted castles, walking, hiking (easy not the climbing types), woods, biking, horseback riding and jumping, history, and antiques. I am getting indigestion from reading so much and also I do not have a good feel for distances and how much time it takes or doesnt take to get from one spot to the other. My hausband says driving from the lake district to the cotswolds in one day is a long drive and to dump the rental car there and take a train to the cotswolds and pick up another car there. Or I suppose if we chose scotland we could dump the car and train down from there as well. I welcome any suggestions from the locals who have given me so many good ideas for whcih I am grateful----I do appreciate it and it will be more helpful than all the guidebooks in the world. I like Peter Irvine's Cotland the Best but it doesnt have much on B&B and we prefer that to a hotel. Thanks!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake district or scotland

Lake District to Cotswolds is indeed a good day's drive. ( North Derbyshire is closer although the walking is less steep and the views less majestic. Wales is closer and bigger and just as impressive).

Either trip by train would involve 1 or 2 changes of train and perhaps taxis either end.

Luggage is also a factor - 2 or more international suitcases on a train are not easy to handle.

Both Lakes and Scotland have enough to do to last a week. Personally I wouldn't try to do both unless I knew I wasn't coming again ever.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake district or scotland

Thanks BigDace

Well I hope to come back someday but I am a reluctant travelere at best. I have toi do Cotswolds because the family will be meeting there. I feel compelled to do Scotland because I have a major interest in castles, remoteness, walking, rain, dark unsunny days, ghosts, etc...also LOVED Local Hero and have yearned to see that little village ever since I saw that movie a billion years ago. So maybe just Scotland? If so, then maybe dump the car and take a train from say Edinburgh or Glasgow to --well--we will be near Slimbridge and I have no idea yet where that is. My sissters booked it. If you have suggestions we will not be encumbered with too much luggage and we could drive but I am wondering if train is faster and more economical. I just know how roads sometimes get plugged up and you are sitting forever on a freeway that turned into a parking lot. Please feel free to advise more. Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake district or scotland

OK. Google "slimbridge". A chap called Peter Scott (no relation) set it up as a huge refuge for wildfowl. Years ahead of his time. Son of Scott of the Antartic! Well worth a visit.

It's not, imo, in the Cotswolds, although it is not far from them. Its not far from Gloucester, on the banks of the Severn.

I'm not sure what your current plans are re. Scotland and Lakes, so I'll stop now in case I provide irrelevant info.

Bridgwater, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lake district or scotland

Just to through a real curved ball at you... have you considered Northumbria? Same distance north as the Lake District but on the east coast rather than the west coast and loads more castles, several very picturesquely sited on cliffs above the sea, remote countryside and some nice small towns too.

Its all much quieter than the Lakes, although less dramatic.

Have a quick look at http://www.visitnorthumberland.com/

Sorry, its a suggestion that doesn't make the decision any easier!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake district or scotland

You can get trains direct from Glasgow to Cheltenham, taking about 5 hours. From Edinburgh its about 6 hours, change at Birmingham. Routes and change points can vary, trains can be delayed (as can cars). You can't legally drive it in this time even if you keep swapping drivers. Cheltenham is about 30 miles short of Slimbridge.

To travel tomorrow the cost is 88 pounds each. If you book ahead the lowest price is 18 pounds (this is available up to 6pm the day before but there is a limited number and on limited trains such as the 9 am). Note if 2 of you are travelling this is about the cost of the gas. There are other low prices for other intermediate times including First Class travel for 36.50 pounds (not sure which trains this is on). (Reference www.thetrainline.co.uk). You may wish to drop the car out of town and take a bus or train in to avoid the city traffic.

You should be able to fly into Glasgow from NY in the summer, also I think Continental fly into Edinburgh to give you some options. I don't know where your deeply desired destination is, that could be planned in.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lake district or scotland

Thanks peterscot about slimbridge---I will look it up and Sogursey yes I woudl love Northumbria--we were in York for about 2 weeks on business and I really loved that--didnt get so far north as Northumbria--I imagine they have a lot of walking areas--the last time we were there was the sheep foot and mouth debacle and I had come with my wellies and all--prepared to roam the moors well---no such luck. We had to stick to cities and villages but we still had a good time. I am hoping this time I will be able to really walk in the country or bike and just be with nature. And BigDave thank you for very good insight on trains. Thanks for the link. I am going to check and see what cars are and how to drop them if at another destination is possible price wise. Alamo and Thrifty had good rates here $300 a day unlimited, maybe because it is getting to the low season time. I will be back for more. I just found a piping and fiddle contest festival in Perth area when we first arrive and I think we will go there first.

7. Re: lake district or scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 02:16