We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for photo trip

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
suggestion for photo trip

I am heading to England the second week of May - my son lives there with his wife who is English. We will be spending a week traveling - and the purpose for me is to take some great photographs for painting later. My daughter-in-law has made the following suggestions for the trip (from Saturday to Saturday or Sunday). We will be driving - then flying back from Scotland.

Lulworth Cove - 1 night

Charmouth - 1night

Bath - 2 night

Lake Districet - 2 nights

Scotland - Edinburgh - 2 nights

I am mostly intersted in the contryside (horses, sheep, farmland, etc) and perhaps old castles - not too interested in cities or museums, etc on this trip.

Any suggestions on itinerary? It is open to change.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for photo trip

I don't think your itinerary is doable without spending a LOT of time travelling.

If you have already booked flights then I'd suggest missing out the first two places, and instead driving to Edinburgh via Cotswolds/Bath, rather than the big diversion to the south.

That way you get extra time taking photos where you would otherwise have been driving on motorways.

Not sure though why you are going to Edinburgh when your main purpose is to photograph countryside? The best Scottish countryside is much more North that that and 2 nights (= just ONE day) doesn't give you much time to get to that and back AND have time to take photos. Same applies to Bath really, skip it if you want to see countryside.

If you havent booked your flights I'd suggest a very dfferent route skipping Edinburgh and instead perhaps a route of Cotswolds, Wales, Lake District, maybe fly back from Manchester? No seascapes in this but you didnt say you wanted those specifically?

Bear in mind, this is based on what you actually asked, "I am mostly intersted in the contryside (horses, sheep, farmland, etc) and perhaps old castles - not too interested in cities or museums, etc on this trip."

because neither Bath nor Edinburgh really fit into that (I'm not counting Edi castle, much better ruined ones in Wales for photos)

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for photo trip

My son lives in London, so we will be driving from there and then, if we are far enough away, flying back. But I like your suggestions. I really do not want to be driving the whole trip instead of taking photographs!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for photo trip

"My son lives in London, so we will be driving from there and then, if we are far enough away, flying back"

Do you mean flying back to the US or to your sons house n London? And if the latter, how does that work with the car?

Also, thinking about it, I really don't understand how Bath and Edinburgh got into your itinerary considering what your requirements were - does 'someone else' fancy visiting them 'on the way' perhaps? :-)

england
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for photo trip

Lulworth cove is a beautiful beach and there are pretty villages near Charmouth (Lyme Regis, Abbotsbury) but Charmouth itself only has Golden Cap (sea views) and everyone photographs Lyme. Bath is a pretty city but doesn't seem to fit your interests at all. Personally I'd suggest you might be better heading East Anglia way and looking at websites like this craft-shows.co.uk/attractions/Heavy_Horses/ for some traditional English country pastimes. Or you could head somewhere like North Devon and photograph the sheep racing.

Sounds to me like someone has given you a list of places tourists traditionally visit.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for photo trip

If it was me I'd fly to Inverness, hire a car and explore the north of Scotland. You'd have it all. Countryside, castles, wildlife, beaches, etc,etc.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for photo trip

I was thinking that Wales would fit the bill in a similar way to Scotland ,and it does have the advantage they have their own car so wouldnt need to hire one (I think, cant quite work out what they would do with their own car if they are flying back from Scotland though, that bit seems strange, maybe they fly back to US and the London lot drive back? )

(And I never thought I'd recommend Wales - jimcardiffresident would be impressed:-)

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for photo trip

You know, I haven't quite been clear on the car business. They do not have their own car, we are going to rent one. I will take a look at Wales too! Thanks

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestion for photo trip

Hi redjb7

Picking up on the earlier posts in this thread you don't have to trek into deepest wildest Wales to get some great stimulation for painting. The very idea of British tourism is said to have begun in the Wye Valley where the Romantics were captivated by the steep wooded river Valley and its ruins - Tintern Abbey (Turner painted it, Wordsworth wrote verses about it) but you can go up the walk adjacent to it to the 'Devil's Pulpit' which gives wonderful views down. Nearby, Chepstow is nearby with its castle perched on the cliffs overlooking the river. Further up the river you get to Monmouth (birthplace of Henry V) with its ancient tower bridge. Castell Coch on the edge of Cardiff is maybe a little too overdone by artists here because it looks positively Bavarian and is actually a Victorian gothic recast fantasy on the foundations of the original medieval castle, but you might want to take a look. However, just over the other side of the valley from that is Gwaelod y Garth, steep sided hill with a very Welsh village sprawling along a main street. The most spectacular scenery in South Wales within shouting distance of the M4 is the Brecon Beacons, south Wales's highest peaks, sheep everywhere and rolling hills - you could cover all those in one day if you wished. If you wanted more than one day I woulod thoroughly recommend turning south west from Brecon and going into Carmarthenshire: Llandovery, Llandeilo, Carmarthen, Laugharne.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestion for photo trip

"They do not have their own car, we are going to rent one"

Well in that case, then either Wales or Scotland, just the one, will be far preferable to wasting a lot of time driving between separate destinations, and in either of those you can cover everything you wanted to see.

FWIW, if you do go to Scotland, depending where they live in London, the train would comparable or preferable to flying - and if you go to Inverness you can take the overnight sleeper train and save time.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestion for photo trip

Photography is a hobby of mine and I love to take pictures in England. Here's the deal about shooting the English countryside. One can head out from London in any direction and very soon be in lovely country with hills, fields, streams and trees that would make a great photo.

The problem is where to stop to get the shot. There almost never is a place to do so. On some main "A" roads you will occasionally see a rest area where you can pull in, but never when you want it, and never on a "B" road. The shoulder, if there is one, won't be wide enough to safely get off the road and stop on.

You'll need to plan on doing some walking from a carpark located in a village, country hotel or B&B, or a sightseeing destination such as a castle, in order to take plenty of good, unhurried shots. That takes time. You can easily take up half a morning or afternoon, or longer, in one place.

So I would advise you to pick one area of the country, doing some research on castles if that subject is what you want, and find a town or village or two to stay in and use as a base. Then you can walk and shoot to your heart's content.

East Anglia has been mentioned. Suffolk is John Constable country. The scenes he painted are still there, e.g. Willy Lott's cottage. Woodbridge is a charming place on the River Deben with a long walk along the river. The only castle I've seen in Suffolk is Orford, but I know there are others.

Wales is also very pretty. I agree that Tintern Abbey's remains and the country around it are excellent subjects. And Wales has many old castles.

If you're not familiar with Devon and Cornwall, take a look at where many English go on hols in the summer. Dartmoor is out there, and Tintagel, and beautiful coastline.

The only way you could go wrong is to stay in the car driving through great country hoping to find a place to pull in to get the shot, because you're very rarely going to find it.

Good shooting!