We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in the U.K.?

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in the U.K.?

My wife and plan to spend Christmas week in the UK this year. Hoping you can suggest a town/city to soak up the Chrias spirit. We aren't in need of tons of shopping. Have been to London, Bath, York, and Edinburgh a few times. Are there other cities where they do a nice job?

Thanks!@

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in the U.K.?

Hi there

Have you considered going a bit rural for a change? I used to live in the Cornish village of Polperro and although I moved away 15 years ago, I've never lived anywhere before or since that had such a wonderful atmosphere at Yuletide. The village comes alive , all the pubs and restaurants are decorated, there are carol concerts on the quayside, Nativity plays in the village hall, lots of organised events and generally, everyone joins in and has a fantastic time.

The village has lots of accommodations from inexpensive but really comfortable B & B's to small hotels and private cottgaes to rent plus some really good restaurants. Take a look at www.polperro.org for a complete overview of the village, accommodations, what's on, sights to see, etc, etc.

Spend Christmas here and you'll never go anywhere else again.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in the U.K.?

Great suggestion, and thanks for the link! Will definitely scope it out.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in the U.K.?

There's also Chester, a lovely place and close enough to Manchester to make sure there's plenty to do

Queensland...
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in the U.K.?

Hi

Anywhere in England will be great at Christmas, i lived there most of my life and moved to Australia 7 years ago. I love it here but if there's one thing i miss, it's the Christmas vibe and the freezing cold (only at Christmas time). Christmas to me is freezing your butt off in the evening, walking along the Thames, checking out the xmas lights and great window displays on Oxford and Regent Street, nipping into the pub for a warm pint of lager and coming home to rug up infront of the fire! 'Tis the same all over the country so i don't think you can go wrong wherever you go. Infact i'm going home to suprise my mum this Christmas....can't wait! Have a great time planning your trip :)

cheers, Sunny

5. Re: Christmas in the U.K.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 05:24