We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

Hi all,

As a pretty nearly newbie UK traveller, I am pretty intimidated with the prospect that my first thing after I set foot in the country in Bristol will be to figure out how to get to downtown Cardiff. I actually tried to look for it on the web, and it might be just me but I found the whole thing confusing, I didn't know which of the websites was the one to use and some of them would go down at the blink of an eye. I need the cheapest and or easiest way to get to my hotel in Cardiff. which is the Marriott, located pretty near the bust station. As specific as you could be would help me immensely, because I seriously am confused by the national travel system, it seems to be a whole bunch of different companies loosely integrated as far as I can tell.

Also, I am going to try again to get an opinion on whether it is too hot to rent a car w/o AC for driving in Wales. Is it mild enough there b/c of the coast and the mountains or should I pay the considerable extra money? Thanks so much for all those willing to share their knowledge!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

I have never done this, but it seems to me you would take the bus from the airport to Bristol Temple Meads train station, and train from there to Cardiff Central. I don���t know where the Marriott is, but it shouldn���t be far, since Cardiff Central is right across the street from the Cardiff bus station.

Unless you plan to do a lot of high speed motorway driving, or expect to be caught up in slow moving, stop and go city driving, I can���t imagine a need for air conditioning.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

Just checked with the airport for you - best to catch the Bristol International Flyer bus to Temple Meads - they run every 20 mins and take 20 mins.

Then the train to Cardiff Central. If you go to www.thetrainline.co.uk or www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk you can book combined rail and bus tickets in advance (which will be much cheaper)- and you can see the train timetables.

When you get to Cardiff Central the Mariiot is very near the train station - come out of the main train station entrance, Turn immediatley right and the high rise brownish building you can see is the Marriott - it will take you literally 5 mins to walk there even with a case.

As for aircon - you haven't said when you will be here. At the moment its really hot and I wouldn't be without the aircon in my car. I would say that applies to all of July, August and early Sept - by Oct you won't need it.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

I agree with the above comments, but will add a bit more, as I work the trains often along that route.

The buses are every 20 - 30 mins from airport to Bristol Temple Meads Station. Trains from Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff are approximately every 30 mins & journey time is just under 1 hour.

It is best to get a through ticket. An idea of fares are 7.70 gbp one way, or 12.80 return (within one month) from Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff, & a few gbps add on for the bus from the airport to Bristol.

As the train approaches Cardiff Central Station you will see the Marriott Hotel on the right hand side. It is literally a few minutes walk from the station, with a good selection of bars & restuarants opposite.

If you plan to do other trips by rail, all info can be found at www.qjump.co.uk which I reckon is the most efficent website for this.

I would not hire car to drive the journey as you must pay nearly 5.00 gbp to drive over the bridge (linking England & Wales) & petrol is expensive. The train will be much better price, and more relaxing.

To save you driving in Cardiff & South Wales area I recommed you look up www.southwalestours.com who have a great selection of day trips throughout the region, and can collect you from your hotel.

Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

Hello, thanks so much for the information. This makes it a lot simpler. About how long should I plan for arriving, getting my luggage, going through customs, etc. before I get on the bus to the train station? I want to leave enough time including the bus journey so that I don't miss my train. I arrive in Bristol at about 9 a.m. and there is a train at 10:40. Would that be pushing it? Also, what happens if you miss a train due to airline delays, do they book you on the next one or are you out of luck?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

I believe you can buy a ticket on the bus for the bus / rail journey. If not, buy a ticket on the bus to Bristol Temple Meads & when you get there buy another ticket for the rail journey to Cardiff - it maybe a little bit more but only talking a few gbps if any. You should buy this rail ticket from the ticket office near the station entrance.

If you have any questions there,the staff are very friendly & eficent & can direct you.

Bristol is a medium size airport, but small compared to many international airports in USA, or say London Heathrow. It was was quite small but has been expanding over recent years. You should land, clear customs & leave airport within 30mins if all goes to plan.

There are no restrictions on any part of the journey. Just up & get next bus / train. The only difference is fare is a few gbps extra if you travel before 0930.

It is quite simple. Relax & enjoy yourself

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus/Rail from Bristol Airport to Dntn Cardiff?

The best way is via the bristol international flyer, fares are 5GB pounds single to bristol temple meads about 30 mins journey time where you can catch the train to cardiff thetrainline.com.

I have a/c on my own car but its not that often you really need it as our weather is so unpredictable, use the local a/c - wind your windows down!! The hottest month is august generally , so its upto you if any extra expense is required the max temps are about 28deg c.