We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Oyster card

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
London - Oyster card

I have noticed that it may be easier to just order

a London Oyster Card if you live in Canada and want freedon to travel easily in the UK.

I could have it mailed to a friend in Kent

then she could mail it to me.

None of the websites respond to Canadian PostalCodes so I must use my hotel's postal code or a friends.

Is it not easier to travel using the Oyster card if

you are coming and going to london from Cotswolds, Kent or Norfolk? Then you can just prepay and use it for the underground and the train when you arrive. What is the big deal about buying train tickets 3 months in advance?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London - Oyster card

Isn't the Oyster Card just good for travel within London? To travel to cities such as Bath you need to purchase a train ticket. I believe the big deal about buying tickets early is so you can save some money. As has been suggested to you, you can order the ticket online, and then pick it up at one of the fast ticket machines. I did this last fall - it was quick and easy. If you prefer you could buy a train pass, but it has to be purchased before you leave Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London - Oyster card

I got the impression from the Oyster website that if you prepaid your Oyster card a few hundred pounds you could also use it on the train. I could be wrong.

I have not been able to buy any travelcards or train tickets on-line '2008' with a Canadian Postal Code.

The online website only excepts UK postal codes now.

I have priced a ticket from Paddington to Cheltenham Spa at 44 pounds one way but I have no idea what it would cost at Paddington station. Since I cannot buy a fasttrack ticket because of my postal code then I must pay the going rate at the station.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London - Oyster card

Buying train tickets in advance CAN save a lot on the fares. Depends on the line - if it's a suburban line it's usually the same price on the day, long distance, there can be a saving.

There's really no point in getting an Oyster card in advance - they are easy enough to buy once you arrive. They do NOT cover train travel, with minimal exceptions on a few lines of little interest to tourists, in outer London.

That fare to Cheltenham is the full fare, the same as you'd pay on the day. You may be able to get it for a quarter of that price in advance.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London - Oyster card

To order the ticket online just put in the postal code of your hotel. I believe that later on (when you're putting in your personal information or credit card) you can put in a full address and change the postal code to your Canadian one. Even if you can't, it shouldn't really matter. Just be sure to have the credit card with you that you used to book the ticket. You need to put it into the machine at the train station.

You can buy a travelcard or pay as you go oyster card from any station once you get to London, including right at Heathrow. I don't believe I've ever read about anyone on tripadvisor buying one in advance - I don't really know what the advantage would be.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London - Oyster card

I just checked the national rail website (I don't know what date you specifically need) but I checked May 7 and there was a fare of 9 pounds. If there isn't a cheaper fare the day or time you are hoping for perhaps there's something going on at that time so the fares are higher.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London - Oyster card

Yes that is true for 07 May 08 but when I check for 07 June 2008 there is only 44 pounds per single trip which may be summer rates or the fact that I'm too late.

Also please note that thetrainline.com will not accept my canadian postalcode.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London - Oyster card

I'm not sure why the fares are so high at that time. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about the trains can answer that.

As far as purchasing the tickets, if you go to http://nationalrail.co.uk/index.html and pick the train you want, it will show you the train company that runs that particular train (in this case First Great Western) - click on the 'go' button and it will take you to the train company website. You should have no trouble purchasing through them - I'm Canadian and that is how I purchased my tickets.

Since it appears that you are paying full fare anyway, I'm not sure I'd bother with the advance purchase other than for convenience.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London - Oyster card

If you want to buy through trainline, just put in the postal code of a hotel in London, any hotel.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London - Oyster card

Sorry for all the repeat posts.

Trainline is offering fares of 12.50 on June 7.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London - Oyster card

No, my mistake. I missed the month it's not for June.