We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

I wondered what the consensus is on the things that hotels get wrong?

Is there something that hotels cosistently get wrong for you? Too cold, too hot, bad staff, getting prices wrong?

I think I better exclude dirty rooms because that ones too obvious.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

They all have signs up saying that they will save the planet by only changing the towels if you leave them in the tub, then they change them anyway. I think this is because the room staff get told off more often for not changing towels than for changing them when they shouldn't.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

I find that quite interesting. It wasnt a response I expected at all.

But its a very valid point. Whats the point in offering to help save the planet if they dont even respect your choice about it?

In general I suppose the point is not giving the customer what they want, a fatal error on any hotel part.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

What type of responses were you expecting, Kez?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

Kez

Have you tried asking the people who stay at the hotel where you work?

Or are you being a little naughty and trying to get ideas on this forum????

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,435 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

one of the things that annoys me is where hotels offer a food and or drinks service till certain times but withdraw it early or have no staff on to cover a bar or meals service.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

I think hotel managers should be obliged by law to spend a night in each of their rooms. That would get some of the more irritating problems solved.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

What a good idea, goodwitch! I don't have a B&B, but I do have English language students (and general friends) staying in my new-ish guest room. Anyway, the other week, DH got flu, and as I didn't wish to get his germs, slept in the guest room for a few days. What an eye-opener! I hadn't realised how noisy the water system was; realised the toilet was leaking plus the noise the boiler makes in the kitchen below!

So yes, it must be all to easy to assume hotel & B&B are fine for guests, when in fact they're not.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

I always wish that the little tea kettle plus complimentary tea and coffee had a bit more milk available, the tiny little plastic portion of milk is enough IMO to make you really feel like the cup of tea but leaves it tasting so bad you need to either order or go out and buy milk.

I suppose one should be grateful that it's there at all but it's usually just not enough.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

The one that always boils my wee is the amount hotels charge for internet access. I'm quite happy for pricing of services not to be directly related to the cost of providing them, but I do expect some vague link; and internet access, which costs hotels virtually nothing, is charged at extortionate rates by almost all

Even a fast domestic connection costs £10-£15 a month these days, and commercial rates are even cheaper. I'd be surprised if even a large hotel needs something that's going to cost much north of £50 a month for the whole hotel but they'll happily chargs each user £5 an *hour*, or more, for it.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ultimate Hotel Nightmares

I get annoyed with people who own or work in hotels using TripAdvisor for their own nefarious purposes.