We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London & Scotland -- US dollars??

Reading...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
London & Scotland -- US dollars??

My husband and I are traveling from US to Scotland and then London in late April/early May. This is our first time -- and since the US dollar is so weak, what is the best way/place to exchange money, or should we use dollars????

Advice will be appreciated!!!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: London & Scotland -- US dollars??

Joe is indeed correct - Scottish and Irish banknotes are not legal tender but are what is known as promissory notes and they have a similar legal standing to cheques and debit cards which incidently are not legal tender either.

All Scottish and Irish notes have to be backed up by the equivilent in Bank of England notes.

If you have any Scottish notes stuffed in your mattress Joe and wish to get rid of them I'll gladly take them off your hands... ;-)

Manchester
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London & Scotland -- US dollars??

Lol nifty, joe is correct. The only legal tender in the UK is issued by the Bank of England. All other notes are promissory notes that depend on the solvency of issuing banks, retailers have the right to refuse these as they are a financial risk.

To the OP, no, dollars are not widely accepted. Exchange your money at any bureaux de change in the US before you leave, you're likely to get the better rate there.

As everyone else has said, use your credit card. This will not only avoid you carrying large wads of £ notes, but provides you with the bulk rate, which can leave you dollars better off per transaction.

glasgow
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: London & Scotland -- US dollars??

hi carol

you best change your dollars into bank of england notes(pounds)as dollars won;t be accepted in any shops ,hotel,bars etc,we are not a bannana republic over here were these countries are desperate for foreign currency.i say english notes as scotland have their own bank notes as does northern ireland all should be accepted in the uk but the english in the south seem a bit fussy about accepting irish or scottish money,but no problem in scotland accepting irish or english banknotes,most shops in glasgow will accept euros also as does the taxis buses etc,scotland seems a bit more forward thinking than england.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
944 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: London & Scotland -- US dollars??

Sorry I got it wrong about the legal tender bit, there is no need to LOL at someone for a genuine mistake.

My original answer is still correct tho, sterling cash or credit card, go to Post Office for easy foreign exchange.

15. Re: London & Scotland -- US dollars??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 04:16