We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK itinerary 17 nights

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
UK itinerary 17 nights

Well, after looking over the other recent post for a 15 day itinerary, it inspired me to post mine for any suggestions when we are there in June. We are driving.

7 days London (seeing King Tut exhibit, Avenue Q and lots of museums and unusual restaurants)

1 day Salisbury (stopping by Bath on the way to Cardiff the next day)

2 days Cardiff (I wish we could stay more--I like this town)--see friends, castles and St. Fagan's.

1 day in Harlech (well up the Welsh coast--for the castle--this is a very long drive from Cardiff)

1 day in Conwy (castle and maybe head to Snowdonia--particularly if we are "castled out" by then)

1 day at Hadrian's Wall (my daughter is an ancient history freak, like me, and, if time allows, stop at Keswick for the stone circle)

1/2 day at the Highland games in Ceres, Scotland

2 1/2 days in Edinburgh

Final day--leave the UK from Edinburgh and plan on return trip!

I know this is VERY busy with lots of driving--good thing I picked a time when gas prices are so low (yeah, right)!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK itinerary 17 nights

I presume you are doing the sensible thing and picking your car up when done in London?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK itinerary 17 nights

Yeah, I may be crazy but I'm not nuts! Drive in London?! No way! We'll pick up a rental car at Heathrow after the week is completed. Having a car for London is putting a TV in the shower--somebody must have tried doing it, but I sure don't want to!

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK itinerary 17 nights

This is a bit of a whistle-stop tour! I'd just like to make a suggestion to your Welsh leg. St Fagan's is great and well worth a visit as you can get a taste of the whole of Wales from the museum. With regard to your castle tour, have you thought about visiting the 'Welsh' castles of the Welsh princes as well as those of the conquerors? I was thinking of Dolwyddelan the birthplace of Llywelyn ab Iorwerth and the castles of his grandson, the last prince of Wales llywelyn ap Gruffydd. You will get a taste of the Welsh version of history which is not as well reported as the Norman events. The Norman castles are very impressive and I love Harlech and surroundings, but if you're interested in history, it's worth looking at the other castles too.

Have a great time. Try this website - 'www.castlewales.com'

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK itinerary 17 nights

It's a fair old drive from Conwy to the Wall.

I've never been that taken by Harlech myself, though it has a fine castle. Conwy is, to my mind a much nicer choice.

As an alternative to Harlech and to ease you in to the driving, have you heard of New Quay? This is the seaside town that is the locational inspiration for Dylan Thomas' Llareggub (read it backwards) in "Under Milk Wood". It's a lovely, gentle place with some delightful coastal scenery, dolphins (maybe not a big deal for Floridians, but the boat trips are nonetheless great fun), a range of decent pubs and a great fish & chip shop! Might be worth a look if you're already a Wales enthusiast. Would make the Cardiff to Conwy more palatable.

5. Re: UK itinerary 17 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 22:16