We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

Hi,

I need to get from Loughborough to Gatwick airport, for an 11:30am flight. I was looking at staying overnight, but for me and my 2 kids, it was looking expensive, and my youngest doesn't sleep well in hotels.

I have found a train which departs at 5:45, and would get us to Gatwick at 8:56. If the flight is at 11:30, is this cutting it too fine?

The train from Loughborough to London st Pancras gets in at 7:36 - are there any other options (dragging 2 kids, bag and buggy) to get to Gatwick in 1 hour from LSP?

Thanks!

Hugie

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

I would have thought trains running at that time of day wouldn't get delayed. Have you tried looking into National express, they can leave even earlier than the train time you quoted, and they advise you aims for AT LEAST 1 hour (preferably 2) before CHECK IN, if not longer..

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

No its not too fine, 2 3/4 hours is fine.

If you go from LSP to Farringdon, a 1 stop tube ride once you get to Kings Cross (and LSP is next door), or cab ride maybe with the baggage and baby, trains from there go direct to Gatwick in about 45 minutes.

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

The Thameslink train service (FirstCapitalConnect or whatever the heck name they've given it this week) goes directly from St Pancras to Gatwick.

Journey time between 45 and 55 minutes.

Bob's your uncle.

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

Thanks for the replies,

Just so I can work out if this is viable, we are flying Zoom from South Terminal. Does anybody know the walking distance from the train station to South Terminal?

Hugie

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

Train station is at South terminal

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,645 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

You literally go up a flight of stairs or a lift, turn one way or the other (left?) and you are in the departures hall of the south terminal.

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

Thanks again!

Does anybody know how long it takes to get through security (we are going on a Thurs, the flight leaves at 11:55am)

Hugie

8. Re: Is 2 3/4 hours until the flight cutting it too fine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 04:17