We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

B-game, Ca
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

Hi,

Has anyone ever done this before? Do you get any sleep?

Thanks.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

Yes but not recently. Many, many years ago when there was a strike on the short Holyhead-Dublin route we got transferred to the Liverpool route. On the journey from Liverpool we didn't get any sleep but on the return journey from Dublin we got a cabin and managed a few hours sleep. You're in a cross-current for much of the journey on that route and the sea can be very choppy. The ships that run the route now are newer than the ones we travelled on so the ride may be less bumpy now. But personally I chose the shorter, quicker Holyhead-Dublin or Holyhead -Dun Laoghaire routes in preference every time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

I agree with Cheshire Cat. I'd only do this crossing if you've absolutely no choice. It takes around 7 hours (and the Irish Sea can be very challenging) whereas the fast ferries from either Dublin Port or Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead take 99 minutes and the cruise ferries take 3 hours 15 minutes.

B-game, Ca
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

Thank you so much for your comments. This is very helpful.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

If you are travelling as a foot passenger i.e. without a vehicle there's a bargain combined rail / sail ticket without need to book much in advance of travel. It's really a 'walk-up' ticket except you do require a ferry reservation which booking agent makes for you at time of ticket purchase. Cost from Dublin to Manchester is £24 single; Liverpool will be about the same price. It's a very easy transfer at Hollyhead, the ferry terminal and train station are in the same building.

Details: http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

5. Re: Overnight ferry from dublin to Liverpool Birkenhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:18