We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK in ten days

Salt Lake City
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
UK in ten days

I'm sure there have been plenty of posts asking this similar question, but I couldn't find one that was very comprehensive.

I am planning a trip to the UK from Nov. 14-24. So, I have 10 days to see the entire country. Where would I be best to spend my time? Is it worth going out to Wales, Scotland, or over to Ireland OR should I just spend my time in London? What should I definitely plan to do?

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK in ten days

Hello and welcome to the UK Forum

Well, to start with, what would you want to see? Britain has a pretty varied offering.

Secondly, November isn't the prettiest month for seeing Britain and some of the places might not look their best.

Thirdly, how are you getting about in Britain? Hire car? Train? Plane?

Maybe as a starter, I would suggest 4 days in London, 2 in Edinburgh, 2 in Cardiff and 2 in Dublin which will give you a good taster.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK in ten days

I think Dicanio's suggestion is good. I'd make one change: from the point of view of giving you a taste of Wales in 2 days, Cardiff cannot compete with Edinburgh and London in size and in immmediate visual impact, being smaller than both and less hilly than Edinburgh (I hastily add that Cardiff neverthelss has many lovely features and attractions and a buzz of its own!!). However, after 4 days in London you could enjoy a dramatic contrast by heading to north Wales, either to Conwy or Llandudno. You will be wedged in by the sea on one side, the dramatic landscape of the Snowdonia mountains on the other side, and some of the most spectacular medieval castles anywhere in Britain - especially Conwy and Caernarfon. That really would be a taste of Wales with some added atmosphere at November time (albeit a higher risk of mist, rain and fog)! The towns are small and will be quieter in November so don't expect 24 hour entertainment, but it would give you a chance to escape the pace of the cities, and curl up in a nice B&B.

If you give us an indication of your transport plans and budget I and others will be happy to help with the Wales leg of your trip.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK in ten days

I doubt very much that you'd want to spend the whole 10 days in London. You could easily get to Edinburgh from London and when I was up there last I had a day trip that I booked throught the viator website that took us out to the Trossachs which was really well worth doing. I'm not sure how long it would take by train (or how many changes) to parts of Wales, but North Wales is worth the visit - the mountain scenery is lovely and there are also castles! You might just find that you'd rather spend sometime in the Lake District if you head up that way to Edinburgh anyway. It is difficult to know what to advise as everyone has their own ideas what they would like to get out of a holiday....

4. Re: UK in ten days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:23