We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling throughout Europe

California
10 posts
Save Topic
Traveling throughout Europe

I am planning a 3 week long trip from May 20th to June 10th and like everyone else, I want to do it all. My boyfriend and I want to cover London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Interlaken, Vienna, and Prague. We are unsure of the best ways to get from each place, the order it should be done in, and if we should cut anything out. I have been looking at budget airlines such as ryanair and airberlin as well as the train. I am completely overwhelmed. The websites I have looked at for train schedules and pricing are confusing and I wonder if raileurope.com is more expensive than buying directly from the rail provider? We are on a tight budget and hoping $1000 will cover all major transportation from city to city. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

You list 7 locations, so that's 8 single trips, one every 3 days, if you come in and go out from the same hub. London Paris Rome are far enough apart for air to be the quickest. The other 4 are close enough that there might be a rail option - the rail passes come in with a proice for a region.

The lowest you can get a "low cost" flight over here is about £25 charges plus a variable fare plus baggage charges on some carriers. If you book soon the fare part will be lower. Easyjet are currently offering Paris Orly to Rome for 55 euros single on 24th May including fare, taxes and 2 hold bags weighing <44 lb (20Kg). The airport bus will add another 10 euros or so at each end. Taking those prices acorss 2 people and 8 flights would cost 1200 euros or 1500 USD which is over your budget. The budget of USD 1000 would cover only the fees and charges so you would have to be booking bargain flights to get within budget. I guess this isn't the answer you want but it gets you some way to planning what you can afford.

I think you will unfortunately have to work around several low cost carriers to get all the city pairs you want. There is a comparison website but I don't have the details I'm sorry.

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

Have you tried looking at Eurrail passes?

www.eurail.com

The global passes look a bit over your budget but one of the select passes may work out OK for at least part of your journeys. Its a shame Interrail passes are only available for European residents as they provide better value and options that are closer to your requirements I think. Rail passes would not cover your travel from London to mainland Europe. Best option for this is Eurostar as it will take you city centre to city centre and save time over flying. You can book up to three months in advance - better to book early for best fares.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

It looks as though the 5 country select pass would give you all your destinations apart from London for less than 300 USD per person. You may find this does not allow you onto the fastest trains - please read the small print !

A good website for rail planning is the German one www.bahn.de which covers rail timetables for almost all european countries and has maps and an English language button.

California
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

www.airninga.com is a great place to find budget airlines.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

I did a 3 week trip in January and covered London, Edinburgh, Paris, and Rome so not quite as many destinations as you, but honestly I think any more would of been too much, but that would be my own advice and opinion. I actually thought 4 was a great amount....I felt like had time to spend in each city (3 full days in each) and got a good feel of each one. I know a lot of people take trains, but I did the budget airline route and flew on Easyjet to/from my destinations because rather than sit on a train for hours and hours, I could relax at the airport, eat, and then hop on a plane and be there in a short time (longest flight was no more than 2-2.5 hours).

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

Sorry I got the rate wrong, the website gives the rail pass as about 350 USD for 5 countries. It still fits inside your budget through !

California
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

Thank you all for the tips and ideas. I think the budget airlines and a few trains will be what we are looking for.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

Hi, If you are considering European rail travel, the link provided by Dave along with this one are excellent..

http://www.seat61.com/index.html

Good luck!

California
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

Wow! Thanks for the seat 61 link. This will be really helpful!

10. Re: Traveling throughout Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 23:17