We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

I'm trying to plan an approximate 2-week itinerary flying in and out of Manchester and hoping to spend at least a day each in Wales and Scotland. The more I read about, the more I want to see. I really need some help in narrowing down which abbeys are must-sees. I've read about Rievaulx, Melrose, Jedburgh, Dryburgh, Fountains and Tinturn Abbeys. Which are your favorites (have I missed some) and worth getting off the beaten path to see? Do they all start to look the same after visiting a few of them? Will my children (early 20s) find them interesting?If there are other nearby attractions that are must-sees, that would be bonus points in my book since we're hoping to see a lot of sites in our limited time in the U.K.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

Apart from Tintern, your abbeys are either in the Borders or Yorkshire so could easily be seen together.

Rievaulx and Whitby would be my favourites from Yorkshire. Whitby has many attractions. I think Dracula is buried in the church-yard...

The Borders abbeys all have different qualities. You can see them all, and I don't think any two look alike, although your children might get a bit of abbey overload. Melrose town is quite attractive with several unique shops.

The only other one I would make an effort to see is Iona, but it is at the end of a long, long well-beaten path, and you would need 2 ferries to get there. However, unlike almost every other abbey, it has a roof! (Westminster is the only other that comes to mind that has a roof. Henry VIII has a lot to answer for)

I think you may have to come back again....

Tynemouth
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

There's a nice little Abbey in Hexham Northumberland.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

You could have a pretty splendid day around a visit to Tintern, which could take in nearby Chepstow Castle (one of Britain's oldest stone castles which is over 900 years old):

http://www.castlewales.com/chepstow.html

Then you could head north west leaving the Wye Valley to visit the hidden but very atmospheric Llanthony Priory in the Black Mountains beyond Abergavenny:

http://www.castlewales.com/llantho.html

On your way you could call in to see Raglan Castle which, had it not been for Oliver Cromwell, would have been one of the great palaces of Wales:

http://www.castlewales.com/raglan.html

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,386 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

For Fountains Abbey go beyond the Abbey into Studley Royal

5. Re: What are your favorite abbeys in England, Scotland, Wales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 00:19