We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains between Edinburgh and London

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trains between Edinburgh and London

Hello... which websites have people found most useful to buy tickets for the train between these 2 destinations? Are there any comparison websites that compare say Virgin to National Rail prices etc? And is there only one sleeper train service or are there alternatives? Cheers

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

Day trains from Edinburgh to London are operated by National Express Eastcoast and you will find fares and timetables on their site.

The night train is operated by Scotrail(Caledonian Sleeper)

Mentioned in this post
National Express
National Express
569 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Caledonian Sleeper
Caledonian Sleeper
125 Reviews
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,047 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com run the day trains from Kings Cross - if you book through them you get a discount on their tickets on their trains.

Otherwise all the British train websites should give more or less the same price for the same journey

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

Thanks. I notice there are several websites for the sleeper trains. Any suggestions on which one to use or avoid? Thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

...actually i will be more specific... i am trying to book thru national rail the train departing london 23.50 arrivinf 07.13. departure date friday 14 august from london. http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/fa

I wish to buy a 1st class sleeper ticket but how on earth do you navifate this cumbersome site? Can anyone figure this out? Thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

As the train is operated by Scotrail you should book direct through their site.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,920 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

National Rail don't sell tickets, just provide the central timetable database.

Either FirstScotRail or NationalExpressEastCoast would be the best sites to book through. Scotrail run the train, and NXEC website has a good reputation for being friendly to foreign buyers. Select to pick up your ticket at the station.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

I use the sleeper services regularly and find it easiest to book on the First Scotrail site (the operators of the sleeper service). This site accepts overseas payment cards and you can arrange ticket collection at Edinburgh or at any one of hundreds of stations, link: scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

Thanks for the suggestions...

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

i think this is the last query regarding this... what is the differenece between 'advance single sleeper' for 69 and 'sleeper 1st single' at 118.50. I thought the 'sleeper' selections were all 1st class and the second class were the seats you sit in but push back. So is there a 1st and 2nd class bed on this train? or is the difference only in the ability to change/not change details at a later date? Thanks again.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains between Edinburgh and London

The 'advance sleeper single' is normally standard class. In UK sleepers have maximum of 2 berths per cabin and standard class passengers share a berth with someone of the same sex; standard class sleeper fares include a breakfast snack tray. First class sleeper passengers have 1 single berth and a somewhat better breakfast tray included.