We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

Oakton, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

Doing business with Hertz Rental Car in the UK is summarized below. Recommend that you NEVER pay in advance.

I paid for the Hertz rental car five months in advance.

Rental car was not available on arrival at Heathrow airport Hertz location, as promised.

The tree hour stall and lies at the Hertz counter.

I signed a refundable credit card charge for gas and a security deposit.

Hertz manager told me VW and SAAB station wagons were the same price.

Hertz did not honor promise for timely repair or replacement of a flat tire.

Hertz promised the flat tire would be repaired or replaced by Hertz contractor.

Hertz tire contractor refused to honor Hertz policy for same day tire repair or replacement.

Hertz promised me either a new car, tire replacement or repair if I went to the Hertz facility at Edinburgh.

Hertz finally directed me to drive to an Edinburgh tire dealer for tire replacement or repair.

Rental car returned 12 hours early. Met with Hertz manager to complain about emergency tire repair.

Hertz manager provided me with a $100.00 gift certificate because of the terrible Hertz service.

Upon arrival home, I immediately filed inquiries about the unexplained Hertz charge on my USAA credit card.

Many expensive cell phone calls to get tire issues solved.

Overall, doing business with Hertz was like trying to get problem solved in a government bureaucracy.  Terrible. Frustrating. Run-around.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

Didn't you have a terrible problem with Holiday Inn, too?

Is there a common factor here?

Oakton, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

We had a wonderful two week trip in the UK where we found the hotels, B&Bs, restaurant staff, and citizens to be absolutely delightful and helpful. I wrote very complementary reviews on all the places we stayed.

However, as some have noticed, I was equally attentive to the two terrible experiences we had with two American businesses, Holiday inn and Hertz. I expressed my dissatisfaction to help other avoid the treatment I received from these two firms.

Overall, we were very pleased and highly recommend the UK as a great place to travel.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,823 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

<<Hertz manager told me VW and SAAB station wagons were the same price.>>

Sorry what is your complaint here. Did you not agree with the manager that they were the same price?

Normally tyre damage such as punctures are the responsibility of the hirer unles you have taken out the extra insurance cover.

<<Hertz promised me either a new car, tire replacement or repair if I went to the Hertz facility at Edinburgh.>>

So why did you not take the car to Hertz in Edinburgh and get a replacement car? At least they gave you $100. Let us know how you got on. I have rented from them a few times without issue including prepaying to the UK website for a car at JFK. Mind you the woman who served us there looked like she had won the lottery and lost the the ticket.

London
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

I'm sorry that you had hassle with Hertz. All companies make mistakes from time to time.

On the other hand, I rent from Hertz virtually every month and most of the time (not every time, but most of the time) I experience good service from them.

(And no. I don't have any connection with Hertz. I'm just pointing out that they sometimes get it right).

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

I have rented cars from Hertz (not in Britain) and paid up front. I am 100% happy to use them.

ian 480.

Oakton, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

As recommended by Hertz, I did drive two hours (on a small spare time) to get the tire repaired or to replace the car. The Edinburgh Airport Hertz had no cars to rent. Over 50 people were in line who had made reservations. Maybe a systemic problem?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

I planned to rent a car in London and drive to Scotland with stops in East Anglia and the Lake District. I was prepared to pay the drop off fee but the rental company was delighted that I'd leave the car in Edinburgh because they have problems keeping cars in Scotland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

>> Overall, doing business with Hertz was like trying to get problem solved in a government bureaucracy. <<

Hmmm, well the US has Government Motors now, so maybe Obama bought Hertz too when nobody was looking?

CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

We had a terrible time with Hertz UK when we rented a car from them in early August, 2009.

We picked up a car at Stranraer, a ferry port on the western side of Scotland. There was a large sign at the counter there that said we did not have to return the car full of fuel, that it would be cheaper to return it empty as their fuel price was less than at the pump. Well, maybe this was true if we returned it to Stanraer, but we dropped off the car in Bath, England, and were told that it would be 45 pounds to fill up the car. What!? The manager in Bath made a deal with us where he drove the car to a local gas station and we paid to fill it up, saving us about 20 pounds.

Anyway, when we picked up the car, a Ford Mondeo diesel sedan, in Stranraer, it was filthy. The lady at the counter didn't tell us how to get out of the parking lot, so we drove around until we saw a security guard and he opened a gate and let us out. We then headed off to Borthwick Castle, near Edinburgh, about 150 miles away. 30 miles in to our trip, the "engine malfunction" light came on. We finally figured out the fancy computerized display and got information that the car was low on oil. We were out in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone. We kept going to our destination, wondering all the while if the car would die and made it to Borthwick Castle. The next day, a Saturday, we tried to call Hertz UK customer service, only to get the message that they are open Monday-Friday. We tried the Edinburgh phone number, same result. We drove on to Edinburgh, our next destination, about 10 miles away, the car practically smoking when we arrived at our hotel. We called the emergency roadside assistance number, they answered (!) and sent a tow truck. The tow truck driver checked the oil and it was fine, so something else was wrong with the engine. My husband followed the tow truck driver to the Hertz Edinburgh office. There was one person on duty, with one trainee, and 9 people in line on a Saturday morning. They didn't have another car available that day, so since we were in Edinburgh for a few days, my husband asked if we could get a car Tuesday morning, when we were leaving, and got a grunt in reply. Monday, wishing to verify that we would indeed have a car on Tuesday, my husband tried to call the Edinburgh office several times and no one answered and he was also on hold a lot trying to find a live person. He used about 10 pounds worth of cell phone minutes trying to find someone at Hertz. He eventually got ahold of someone in the Dublin, Ireland, office and explained to her what was going, or not going, on. Tuesday morning, he took a taxi to the Edinburgh office and they did have a car for us and noted on our record that we should get a credit for the two days we did not have a car. The manager at the Bath, England, office confirmed this and subtracted those days. He made up for the awful service we got otherwise.

We paid extra for full insurance to cover road hazards and it's a good thing we did, as further on in our trip, we hit a pothole and blew out the front tire. Our cell phone didn't work in that area, a remote part of the Lake District near Windermere Lake, so we put on the spare and called Hertz emergency road service when we got to our hotel. They called us back the next morning and instructed us to go to a tire shop in a nearby town. The shop replaced the tire and we went on our way.

Yes, we picky Americans like service 24/7. Both my husband and I work for a large insurance company in America and are constantly told that if customers can't reach us at any time, day or night, we will lose them as they will go to other companies. Hertz UK apparently hasn't gotten this message. They should at least answer their phones during their business hours!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz Rental Cars Do Not Honor Paid Reservation, etc.

Hi Titan,

Welcome to the forum. Not sure I followed all your points (long paragraphs - difficult to read!), but you seemed to have had a less than wonderful experience.

For what its worth, I think £45 to fill a tank of diesel is a bargain, so if you could let us know how you got it for £20 less, that would be wonderful.

Thanks, and hoped you enjoyed your trip.