We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

I want to route before I pick up the car rental at Heathrow to get familiar with roads, etc. Want to avoid Motorways as much as possible and use back roads even with the price of gas!

Tried Mappy but not working for me. I'm in the States. TIA

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,146 Reviews
from US$128.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from US$113.80*
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

www.theaa.com or www.viamichelin.com or good old google maps.

I like viamichelin because it allows you select various options, like scenic (michelin recommended) routes.

I think these sites are good, but there is practically no way to avoid motorways around Heathrow. enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London, England
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

agree; www.viamichelin.com is best, although our roads are so congested that you should regard its journey times as optimistic; they assume fast driving; not always possible in southern England!

Back-roads are tricky anywhere near London as they tend to be slow, so routes will depend on your destination; but although you'll probably have to take motorways for the first 50 miles from Heathrow in any direction, the principle of avoiding them is great.

For example, if (as I'd recommend) you plan to initially travel west (to get away from London traffic as quickly as you can for your first stage, rather than going through or round the capital) then use the A303- far more scenic and relaxing a route to the south-west than the M4 or M3 motorways, and it goes right past Stonehenge.

After exploring the south west (which could fill a whole vacation) you could run back along the beautiful north Devon coast, through Somerset and then west over the Severn bridge to Wales, or north to the Midlands; if you do the latter, the southern stretches of the M5 are not too bad. Either way, have a great explore!

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,783 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

If you want something in paper, the Great Britain A to Z Road Atlas is *very* good. Amazon.com sells them.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

Hi get hold of the Michelin Great Britain & Ireland atlas (sold on Amazon USA).

They also do one for the US if you wanted to get that and become familiar with the scale etc.

I like it because some bright spark thought it a good idea to highlight the scenic routes (almost like a green highlighter over the road) and I can confirm that many are worth a detour (having tried them in the UK/Ireland?France/California).

So it stands to reason that I would recommend their website too (but you'll find it easier to have a paper copy of the UK road system to hand when trying to figure out where to go.

If you are stuck for a tourist book, I also like the Michelin Green Guides. They are a bit short on practical tips, but are good at highlighting the must sees (both on a map and by town).

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
France
France
Europe
The California
The California
2,180 Reviews
London, UK
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,783 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

>>...price of gas! <<

Petrol ;-)

6. Re: What is the best journey, trip planner for long road trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2010, 06:16