We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money required at immigration?

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Money required at immigration?

I am planning a trip to London in 2010 and recently, a friend told me that if you don't have so much money in your bank account, you will not be permitted to visit England. Is this true? If so, does anyone know the amount of money required to be kept in the bank account before being allowed to enter the country?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money required at immigration?

If you are just coming for a short holiday it is unlikely you will be asked about money.

I presume you will have a credit card to show if required.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money required at immigration?

You may be asked to show that you can support yourself while here. No different to entering the USA. That doesn't mean needing to see your bank statements (though ludicrously the full detailed rules do have that somewhere), its more an issue of, how do you expect to pay for stuff while you are here?

I presume you'll have some cash and debit or credit cards with you in which case its astonishingly unlikely anyone will even mention your bank account.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money required at immigration?

If by some horrible twist of fate they do ask, there is no set amount they are looking for - they will need to satisfy themselves you can support yourself, and that's a value judgement.

But if things get that far you've rung alarm bells with them anyway - you're in trouble.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money required at immigration?

McLovin084- it is certainly true that for young travellers from other Commonwealth countries entering the UK under a Working Holiday Visa you have to be able to prove that you can partly support yourself and will not need to be working full time for the whole period you are in theUK. From memory for this class of Visa you do need to have a certain amount in the bank for it to be issued to start with.

Almost every counrty in the world reserves the righ to reassure itself that visitors- on short stays and on longer stays- do intend to leave the counrty and have enough money to support them selves for the duration of their stay. If you have a return ticket and are able to answer questions they may ask you to their satisfaction you should not have any problem.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money required at immigration?

In all my trips to the UK, I have not once been asked about how much money I had. They simply looked at the card you fill out on the plane, asked how long I was going to be there, whether holiday or business trip and that's about it. As we don't need a visa for a simple holiday in the UK, I have never had to supply financial information ever.

The only time questions beyond those were asked was when I just happened to get an immigration officer from the small town in Scotland where I was staying. He just wanted to chat I think, and wondered why anyone would want to spend 2 weeks holiday there as it wasn't really a tourist town.

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money required at immigration?

As said before, its about supporting yourself. There will be no set amount, as you may have prepaid accommodation etc, so the amount you would need in that case for just food and attractions would be less.

I think entry into the USA is stricter on these things, but I cannot remember being asked to prove I could pay for my (high maintenance, demanding) family of four!!

Do not worry too much about this, just make sure all your documents are in order and I am sure you will be fine.

7. Re: Money required at immigration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 05:18