We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on accomodation and activities

ulladulla
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
advice on accomodation and activities

G'day,

i am visiting great britain from the 1st of august for ten weeks. i will be travelling alone and will have a car. i have reletives in london but i am finding it very difficult to find affordable accomodation for a single traveller. as a solo female traveller im not too keen on staying in a hostel room full of strange men! can anyone suggest cheap(ish) accom for me?

i am travelling all over inc cotswalds, lake district, new forrest, wales and scotland.

also, im taking $10,000 with me for expenses. is this enough?

sooo many questions.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm no help at all regarding cheap single accommodation, but I do know that not all hostels mean sharing with strange men. Many offer single rooms. Look at the YHA (Youth Hostel Association).

For B&Bs, try www.smoothhound.co.uk

Don't forget- you are travelling at the peak time and to the most popular places, so beds will be at a premium.

Consider university halls of residence, eg Lancaster Uni is near the Lake District, and has hundreds of beds. Presumably they must rent some out out of term term? I don't know.

As for spending money, it's helpful if you convert to Pounds. Assuming you mean Aussie dollars...what's that - £3000? It might depend on you want to live - eat out every night? Pub, cafe, restaurant? Buy your own from a supermarket? (And don't forget to calculate the petrol costs).

And when you say 'taking', you do know we have ATMs here? :-)

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 13:45
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

I must admit I was a bit alarmed at the prospect of the OP touring around the UK with $10,000 in cash !!

As peterscot said it helps to put that in terms of UK£,s and give some idea of your expectancy, accomodation and food wise. Petrol costs will play a significant role with that sort of travelling involved.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

Hi

Welcome to the Tripadvisor forums; 10 weeks!

Is that A$10,000 (about £5.6k) or US $10,000 (about £6.2k) (not that this is a huge difference at the moment, but it was a few months ago)?

Should we take it that you are just popping in to visit your relatives and borrowing a car (or have got that aspect sorted) and/or have you an approximate itinerary planned for 10 weeks? Petrol is pricey in the UK and could eat a huge hole in you budget (I think a litre of petrol is about £1.10 +/- 5p this week).

Unlike Oz, it is the norm for university students to travel to the opposite side of the country to study their degrees and many stay in "Halls of residence" on university campuses/city centres. These rooms (many of which seem to be ensuite these days!) are rented out during the university vacations (certainly during August and most of September) at a fairly reasonable price.

10 weeks is a very long time to be travelling solo (and don't underestimate just how tiring it is to drive on busy UK roads). Have you thought about combining your routes with an organised tour/volunteering holiday? The latter would certainly help keep the costs down and you would actually get a chance to meet some Brits? (the 2 organisations that spring to mind are the BTCV or the National Trust, but I am sure you would find more using a search engine).

Another thing to look out for would be the Travelodge hotel chain sales - if you time it right and are flexible you can get a decent enough room from about £19 - best post a seperate query (perhaps on the London forum) as there are plenty of regulars who pay very little for their Travelodge rooms (and will probably know if August rooms are ever included in the sales or whether it is best to just try to book rooms asap).

PS: It's a long time since I travelled solo/without husband, but aren't the dorms at Youth Hostels and YMCA's single sex?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

AS you are travelling by yourself you may find you like to be somewhere which you can always feel at home or have a friendly hostess to answer your questions Take a look at the Farm Stay UK website .Although there is about 1000 properties some of which are self catering some may not have single rooms but as a rural network people in the countryside often know someone just down the road that has.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

Another option is to rent a cottage/apartment - by the week - or short stay, in the area that you choose.

I am traveling on my own to the UK for 2 weeks next month. I have family there but never stay with them. I am renting a one bedroomed attached cottage in a small village in Yorkshire for GBP190 for the entire week. Obviously this is off season but that week stay is a lot cheaper than the 3 nights I am spending at a mid-range hotel in London.

Self-catering gives you a lot of options for feeding yourself cheaply, doing laundry etc and you can base yourself in interesting places,

If you are interested I'll give you the names of some companies I have used personally,

ulladulla
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

wow, thankyou all for your advice.

yes i have five and a half thousand pounds- on a visa card... sorry bout the confusion.

africandaisy im really interested in the idea of hiring a house for a week, all the self catering places iv found are for 10+ people.

can you or anyone else give me ideas for places to stay, anywhere, i dont mind. im not too keen on the city so country would be better.

i know im going in peak season but its the only time i have off work here.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

You have to do quite a bit of searching to find self-catering places for two people (rarely are they just for one!). But it can be done.

A B&B should average about £30-35 per night, including a big breakfast of course. This would not be at a 5-star, but a nice comfortable clean place.

http://www.farmstay.co.uk/

They also have a lot of self-catering listings.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

The company I'm using at the moment is Sykes Cottages...

As HalfBrit said most of the smaller cottages are designed for 2 which usually means they are one bedroomed with one double or Queen bed - so perfect for one as well.

I did a quick random search and in Cornwall I found this one

sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/…

In August it is GBP 400+ a week but in September drops to closer to GBP300 - so maybe in August you could use hostels, dorms or B and Bs and in September do a bit of self catering.

Other companies I have used include

http://www.easycottages.com/

http://www.welcomecottages.com/

cottages4you.co.uk/sites/…home.aspx

I would advise you to book as quickly as you can if you decide to.

Good Luck - I love having my own little "home" when I visit the UK:)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

It's very uncommon to find mixed dorms in YHA properties in Britain - I found this to be quite common in Australia, but here I've never stayed in a mixed YHA dorm in Britain. They might exist, but they're not the norm. Do think about staying in at least some YHA properties - many of them are historic buildings and some of them are in stunning locations. It's often a nice way to meet people if you want, or you can simply see them as a safe place to lay your head. I have never found security to be a problem, but in all hostels I tend to sleep with my valuables in a boring looking floral washbag by my head. I've stayed in single rooms, small rooms with friends and dorms of various shapes and sizes.

10. Re: advice on accomodation and activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 07:16