We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription Drugs allowed

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription Drugs allowed

Touring the uK for 4 weeks very soon. Require prescription drugs that contain a large amount of codeine for severe back problem....also Dr going to prescibe an S8 drug like Endone(morphine derivative) to help just for the trip....or a patch (also Morph. Deriv.)Will have scripts and Drs letter, and meds correctly packed. Is it legal to bring these to the UK this way?Also take an anti anxiety med........is this ok with Drs letter etc? Can you buy over the counter cold and flu tablets there should they be required, and also things like panadeine(paracetamol plus 8 mgs codeine)?Have put this question in France and Dubai forums too, but if any of you know about these places too, than thank you for your help.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Edinburgh
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

Codeine Phosphate EuPharm 8 mg + Paracetamol EuPharm 500 mg is marketed in UK under the generic name of Co-Codamol and can be bought OTC at a Chemist's shop (pharmacy) under the supervision of the pharmacist.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

…fco.gov.uk/en/…prescriptions

I think you may find that codeine is a banned drug in Dubai (check with the Consulate)

fairtrials.net/index.php/…

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

I dont think you will have a problem with the UK, though wise to bring a doctors letter. The patches you refer to are available in the UK ( I use them myself 24/7/365 ) though only on prescription. They are classed as a controlled drug here.

Cold and flu remedies are widely available over the counter.

BB

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

Thank you for this link! It appears that just about everything is prohibited in Dubai!I have emailed them and the embassy to see what we can do as between the 4 of us(all in late 50s) we have quite a few medications, and all are on this list. I thank you twixthepennines, for this information. I don't know what we will do, but better to be safe than locked up! Thanks,

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

Bluebreezer.....and everyone else.....it appears we may not get anything through Dubai(this is a 2 day stop over) If I had a letter from my Dr, would a Dr there write scripts for patches or other meds taken here, that aren't allowed in Dubai?Do you know if they will make up meds using an Australian prescription, or do we need to visit a Dr as soon as we get there?Should have checked this earlier, but thought all would be ok with the correct paperwork, but appears Dubai is a law unto themselves, and you can't really take anything without a big risk. Too old to go to jail!Thanks.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

Sorry but I really dont know how you would stand regarding medications requiring a prescription. For the patches I use I have a monthly renewable prescription, but thats using my local GP and Pharmacist who know my medical history.

All I can suggest is the NHS website, hope that helps:

http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx

BB

England
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

The British High Commission in Australia states that all medication will need to be in clearly marked bottles and boxes. Most medication available in Australia, over the counter, are available here in the UK however you may need a prescription for some stronger pain killers. Some pain control medication maybe controlled substancies here in the UK so check the list on the High Commission website or contact the HM Customs and Revenue prior to bringing them into the country. You must be the only person to carry your medication and you must not carry medication for anyone else.

Whilst you are here Pharmacies/Chemists are usually open between 09:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday and 09:00 to 13:00 on Saturday. Most cities have a chemist or chemists that will be open later that the above times.

Treatment for Australian citizens on the NHS should be free but only for the duration of your trip here in the UK. That being said you should still take out a good healthcare policy to cover you.

Most Doctor's surgeries will offer an open surgery should you need prescriptions. Prescription charges vary from country to country. In England the charge is £7.20 per item, Wales its free and Scotland its something like £3 to £4. I'm not sure what it is for Northern Ireland.

For France and Dubai you will need to check with their embassies.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,417 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

Australians travelling abroad who have health issues, it is important to read www.smartraveller.gov.au

9. Re: Prescription Drugs allowed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2010, 08:17